Tuesday, April 17, 2007

I Hurt, But I'm Getting Faster

Yes, my quads hurt. I've taken a page out of Lisa's book and am tackling this little nemesis of mine called...

THE BIKE.

It gets the least play in this blog because it is my least favorite. Oh sure, I enjoy it and all, but it ain't swimming - and it cannot touch running.

But, Lisa's honest appraisal and reporting of her biking - as well as her steadfast efforts to improve - have inspired me. So, bottoms up:

Here's where I've been - 14.9 MPH
Where I am - 16.5-17.5 MPH
Where I'm going - 19.5 MPH
(All done on my usual 19 mile route.)

AND

How I'll get there:
In spin class, we used to count our RPMs. We were always aiming for around 90. I have started doing this now on my roadbike. With an evil Triteacher Twist.

I count my revolutions (one leg) for 10 seconds out of every minute. If I don't make the requisite, magical 15 (Yep, 15 x 6 = 90 RPM), I have to count again in that same minute. (The Twist.) I try to maintain that 90 RPM for 5 minutes straight. Repeat 4 times per ride.

Though I can't say I've isolated this as THE variable, I attribute my increased speed to this drill. Hey, if it makes you hurt, it has to make you faster, right? ;)

_________________________________________________________________

Also on my mind... Virginia Tech. See these blogs for more thoughts:

Anne
Marty

6 comments:

The Fool said...

TT,

Time and practice wil get you better. Do you do any speed drills? (fartleks, sprints etc.)

I like your little trick about the counting, but don't forget to sometimes ride for fun; turn off the computer, stop counting and just crank it.

I'm learning to like the bike, and I can take the hills (finally) but I think the hardest thing to get used to is the WIND.

Running, you never notice the wind unless it's really strong. Biking, even if it's only 5 mph (and it always seems to be coming from SOMEWHERE) it feels like UGH when you turn into it.

And about making you stronger: I think so too. I can crank hard on the bike for two days in a row with no ill effects. Bring on the Quad burn!

If only we could do that running!

Hope your cold is better,

M-

Dances with Corgis said...

TT, What about getting a cadence monitor, instead of just counting RPMs? Lets you be lazy.

I was wondering your thoughts on VT as an educator. Thank you for the link to those two blogs, I enjoyed their sentiments.

Courtney

Triteacher said...

Marty: I have never done speed drills on my bike before. (Unless you count trying to keep up with my husband on our bike trips!) That's why I've decided to focus on the bike - just like I've always done with running and learned to do with swimming. Phew, soon I'll be 3/3 of the way there!

Triteacher said...

Courtney, I'll look into a cadence monitor. I am so not a techie kind of person. But since I'm committing to this thing, better jump in with both feet I guess!

Unknown said...

I'm so humbled to have inspired you in *any* way...especially from my weakest link.

i wonder if I should spend some time while i'm out on the bike counting RPMs too. hmmmmm.....

RunBubbaRun said...

Hey, If I recall your bike splits where dang good at IM...

And you say, you like biking the least.. watch out road, TT is coming..

ps. Remember technology is a wonderful thing...