Sunday, April 15, 2007

Gods Behaving Beastly

Shiva and Shakti
took my legs for a run
this morning.

Ten miles on a crushed gravel path
in 60 degree sunshine -
you would think they'd be kind,
kick back and enjoy the weather.

But nooooo....
not those two.

They frolicked with each other
as they rampaged through my body,
vying for my misery.
I swear I heard them say,
"Screw 'What Would Jesus Do.'"

They tightened up my quads
and pinched my piriformis.
They stuck Gatorade bile
in the back of my throat
and pushed my legs to pulp
on a Long Distance Slow.

But I fought back
caving only to the secret thought
of a negative split.

As I sit here now
with an ice pack under each cheek,
my piriformis is not purring.
But I am.

My watch has told me the score:
Miles 1-5: 45.04
Miles 6-10: 43.38

I have earned my smile.
I went for a run today
and negative splitted.

Oh, and Shiva & Shakti?
They're busy rolling out my quads.

4 comments:

The Fool said...

Hey TT,
Those are the runs..... That build character (or turn you into one).
Give them pesky gods a chance to roll those quads good! Piraformis? Ouch! I've had that, right after Chicago. STRRRREEEETCHHHHHH those puppies out!

WHAAA! I'm sick, not so sick that don't feel guilty about sitting around all week-end (ahhchooo!).

Ooooo.... I love that "gatorade bile" line. Yep. tasted that before. Blech.

Don't forget to get your 9 tonight!

TriShannon said...

Way to work through and negative split!!

RunBubbaRun said...

Your descriptions of your runs are all sooo interesting.

Somehow I learn a little more about your bodily functions each post..

Great job on the negative split run..

Unknown said...

Nice run.

And I had to look up Piraformis to have a clue what you were talking about. Could you stop throwing those big words at me, Ms. Teacher?!?!? LOL