Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Growing Season


I spent an afternoon and a morning with a fork in my hands, mired in compost and garden soil. Right now I have dirty fingernails and aching muscles. But in a few weeks time we'll have spinach and lettuce. In a few months we'll have broccoli and tomatoes. At this point, it's hard to believe.

Bet you can't see where this post is going.

I've spent afternoons and mornings on the bike and in the pool. My weeks have seen progressively longer runs. Right now I have sore muscles and magnitude 8 doubts. In a week's time, I'll have the results of my first running race. In a few months, my Tri Nationals fate will be written history.

In my garden and to the toes of my running socks, I have the excitement of a season getting underway. It is the growing season, and I - like the spinach and tomatoes - will grow.

8 comments:

The Fool said...

TT,

To quote a Sunday comic:

Seed.

Sun.

Rain.

Love.

It's an old family recipe.

If you need some extra love, look around I'm sure we can accommodate.

M-

PS: you've been a bizzy bee!

Dances with Corgis said...

Way to rip off my brilliant metaphor. Because, clearly, I was the first person EVAR to use "training as planting seeds" ;) heehee

Isn't gardening so relaxing? Damn I miss having a yard. The closest I get to "gardening" is a fern on my fire escape!

Unknown said...

What happens when the seed is left in the package too long? Ok, that's my scenario. I look forward to hearing about your first running race.

RunBubbaRun said...

Look forward to hear about your 1st race for the season.....And the rest of you year..

Hmm, I never know what to plant and just see what comes up..

But they all need tending to and hopefully will be satified with the outcome.. But to never try is just a waste of good soil..

TT and good compose, always a good mix. (hopefully this part comes out right) :)

jbmmommy said...

I wish for you successful seasons on both fronts.

I think I was born with a black thumb, husband and the kids are in charge of the gardening.

Triteacher said...

SkiRough - As they say, "Great minds think alike." ;)

All: I am not a particularly gifted gardener but I'm willing to swill around in compost. That has to count for something!

Unknown said...

great analogy

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Sigh. you're so lucky. I had to choose between awful allergies and living where there all the soil is classified as "Immature". Guess which won. (I live in New Mexico)