Sunday, April 08, 2007

Drive Stuck in Park

I think my drive is stuck in park. Here's how it goes in Triteacher Land...

1) Getting back into the pool after my vacation hiatus was bliss. I promptly promised myself that next season I would sign up for the master's swim meets in my area. I even added an extra swim on Friday.

2) Did I mention that I wanted to try to qualify for Nationals? Oh yeah, I probably did. BUT I cannot decide on a distance. My heart says Half Ironman, but my brain says, "You've only done one and it was done as training for IM. You have no idea of how to pace yourself competitively at that distance! Nor do you have any idea if you can be competitive at that distance."

Sprint? - Smarter choice but heart says, "BLAH. Not long enough. Why even get into the water if I'm only getting out 8 minutes later?"

Oly? - You might just have something there. Long enough to warrant getting my feet wet and definitely a challenge. Most of my experience is at this distance so I have a clue about pacing. But (in the same breath) HIM would be better!

I think Ironman has wrecked me. I like going long.

3) I went for a trail run this weekend (inspired -thank you very much - by Bubba and Marty) and was convinced that I wanted to become an ultra/trail runner. I even ran extra and was late for Mom's Easter dinner. I fell hard for the Chequamegon National Forest - and running through calf-deep streams.

4) My siblings twisted my arm (yee-ouch!) and I am now signed up for two relay running events. One is taking the place of the half mary on April 28th. We're going to do the full marathon as a relay. I get the last 10.1 miles. Yahoo! Bringin' it home on a relay is fu-u-un. BUT that means changing my half mary 1:33 goal. I think I'll keep the per mile pace goal: that's 7:09. OK?

Do you see the evidence of Triteacher Drift?

Um, how many lifetimes are we allowed in which to chase our dreams?

That's not even mentioning that I love vacationing with my husband and puppy... and at those times, my training plan goes out the window. Did you notice the absence of any biking references in my posts this week? It's indicative of exactly that - NO biking.

I know that I cannot possibly meet all of these goals simultaneously. Excitement is nice, but I feel as though I stymie myself at every turn with yet another new adventure. My drive is stuck in park just because I can't consistently answer one question:

"What do I want to be today?"
Last season, I had a consistent, clear answer to this question. I woke up each day and knew that I wanted to be an Ironman. Drive.

This season is different. My answer to that question changes every day.

Can I have a whole season governed by whim?

  • Yes. I have in the past. In fact, with the exception of last year, all of my triathlons have been whimsically chosen and completed. Training equally so.

  • No. Not if I want to reach my competitive edge.

There's the rub. Any thoughts out there?

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't offer anything to make the decision other than go with your heart. Everything is so much better when it is from the heart. :)

Unknown said...

Trail ultra's are the way to go. Look for a good one and sign up. You'll love it!

DV said...

if you figure out how to stay the course with so many kick-ass diversions, let me know! whim is a downfall, but also a saving grace... i'll take my chances on of the former to get the latter...

Fe-lady said...

Running long trails before I started triathlon sure made me strong and fit for the three disciplines later on. Although my ultra days are long gone, those trails can still suck me in... (what's around the next bend..over that hill...???)
Good luck with your decisions!
P.S. There will always be trail races/triathlons, so pick one for a year, then do the other...

Fe-lady said...

Oh yeah...how about and Xterra? (Now you need a mountain bike!) :-)

Fe-lady said...

"an"...XTERRA..you know...sorry!

jwm said...

I swore I gave you unbelievably perfect advice this morning here in the comment section.. where'd it go?

ah well.. on the qualifying for nat's.. do you know what some approximate times you're looking at? Does that help your decision on which distance?

-jwm

qcmier said...

Wait I thought you had already decided on Nationals. That should mean being competitive. But if you really wanted a season of whim, I can give you my schedule. Nothing but whim here.

RunBubbaRun said...

I think you would have to choose either long stuff or short stuff. I think the body can't handle both..

Trial running, that would be great, misery loves company..There are some 50k relay races in WI. if you want to test it out..

So many crazy things to do out there. But whatever it is be happy doing it..

ps. But I really think you would love the ultra stuff (hint, hint)

Michelle said...

I think it would be great to have a whole season 'governed by whim', but I know in reality I wouldn't be able to do it. Qualifying for nationals is an awesome goal. See you as a cheering spectator on 4-28.

Anne said...

You might find that in winging it for awhile (but only for awhile), you stay on the path of improvement. There's a certain joy in living in the moment instead of planning each day to live a future one.

The Fool said...

Only

The Fool said...

You

The Fool said...

Know.

The Fool said...

\\//
\\//
\\//
\\//
\\//
\\//
\\//
\\//
\/
\/
\/
(picture of feather here)