Monday, June 23, 2008

SWC Y Tri Race Report - Sprint

My only "official" tri of this season is done and done well. I pushed.

Warm-up
Having not ridden my race bike for the last two weeks, I rode to the race (about 3 miles) and re-acclimated to my pedals, clipping in and out of each pedal about a million times. Once those neurons were refired, I hit the beach, swimming an 8:32 warm-up. I ran through the swim-to-bike transition and mentally-rehearsed the changing of the clothes for T1.

Swim
Normally a bilateral breather, this habit disappears when I race. I breathe on my right side with every stroke. It just is. I felt smooth and fast. It seemed that all of my wheezing sessions with Coach were serving me well; I was wheezing with the best of them, but it felt like the right thing to be doing since I was racing. I wore my wetsuit and was glad - the water was "refreshing".
Swim time: 7:11

T1
Woot! I ran fast past my cheering section and into the corral. I had a really good position for my bike and made the smoothest transition out of my wetsuit I've ever made. I learned to put it over my timing chip (duh!) so it slips off more easily. No problemo.
T1 time: 1:13

Bike
Onto the bike and speedy flat land for 14.5 miles. I was chugging air but didn't want to slow down at all. My mantra became, "I'll breathe when I'm dead." (The humor of the statement was not lost on me and my self-satisfaction with my own cleverness buoyed my spirits even more.) I passed a lot of people and was passed by one guy. (#185 - grr! I still remember his number.) I tried to stick with him for about 3 seconds and realized it was hopeless. He was fast.
Bike time: 39:23

T2
This went OK. I fumbled when re-racking my bike a little bit and tangled my sunglass on my bike helmet when I removed it. I was quick getting into my running shoes but then in my nervousness and race-dizziness, I forgot where the exit to the run was. I had that panicky feeling and snapped my head in all directions looking for the exit while also trying to fasten my watch. Future plan: Run through T2 before the race! (Duh.)
T2 time: 0:38

Run
I really love myself sometimes. (You may gag.) I raced this whole 3.7 miles even though there was no other racer in sight. It struck me as weird even as I was doing it. What compels you to breathe hard and push even when no one else is around? In my head, I was Ariel the mermaid singing, "I wanna be where the people are!" but I just kept chugging along, pushing, pushing, pushing. I knew I'd be pissed at myself afterwards if I left anything on the course. Plus, it just felt good to race. I was in the mood. It didn't always feel good, but it certainly felt right.

AND - I'm happy, happy, happy with the 7:31 pace I held up. I've been running 3 times a week for 30-45 minutes. I have done no speed work - in fact, I would call what I've been doing "SLOW" work. So 7:31s feel like a gift. And miracle of miracles, my knees don't hurt. My piriformis is a little tweaky, but I have a tennis ball for that!
Run time: 27:48

Post race - I had pain between my shoulder blades, piriformis, and a growling stomach - I haven't stopped eating since I crossed the line! ;-) but otherwise I am A-OK. It's all that good kind of pain, that it-feels-like-achievement kind of pain. I'll take it!

Awards ceremony - My brother and his 3 kids (ages 2-5) had come to watch the race. When I received my age group medal, they had to jog up to get it with me. Then they took turns all afternoon wearing "the gold". Some things are just better with kids. :-) When I'm old and crippled up, I hope to go places and cheer for them. Won't be nothing wrong with my teacher lungs!

Overall: I was very happy with this race. As mentioned, I was first in my AG. Official results can be found here. I was bib #192.


Total time: 1:16.11
Gender place: 2/74
(The #1 Female beat me by 4 minutes instead of like 30 seconds, thank gawd! She's 23 years old - she has a career ahead of her!)
One last thing: my finisher's photo a la Robby B.
Cheers, everyone!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations...you did amazing!!

Your bike mantra made me chuckle :)

Glad to hear things felt right on the run and that Ariel the mermaid helped you!

Your brother's kids probably had a blast watching their super aunt. What fun memories!

Great finishing picture, too!

xt4 said...

Woot! Kickass! Way to rock out there, that's sensational.

And an important stepping stone to IMWI '09, I might add.

;)

Pharmie said...

Hooray! Way to go speedy teach!

Erin said...

Nice work! 7:31 average? Impressive!!!

Unknown said...

Awesome!! Great job.

I had to laugh at this: 'I have done no speed work - in fact, I would call what I've been doing "SLOW" work'

KK said...

Holy cannolli YOU are fast! Way to go and congrats on your hardware, that is very exciting!!!!

Your report had me chuckling-keep up the good work!

RunBubbaRun said...

Way cool, speedy TT... congrats on your race and AG "bling bling".

Anne said...

This must be what happens when you stay in shape and don't start in with the trash talk about woulda coulda shoulda on a race. I can't say I know of anyone else who invokes Ariel the mermaid on the bike part.

You look so proud in the photo, as you should. What a great role model you are to your neices and nephews.

Fe-lady said...

Wow...great race!

When you are old and crippled up I suspect you will still be racing! :-)

LOVE the 7:31 PACE....!!!

Steve Stenzel said...

NICE JOB!!! That's a CRAZY bike split! Way to go, #2!!

triguyjt said...

tri teach

is

fly teach

fly past the competition..

nice effort..excellent results...

you rock

Michelle said...

congratulations, teach! You look so proud! Blazing fast run time.
Hope you had a great 4th. Sorry I missed you.