Thursday, June 19, 2008

Lesson Learned from my Paddle


He was scared. White-knuckling the sides of the kayak, screaming every time it dipped to the side, imploring me to keep the boat straight, to stay away from the side, to avoid branches and rocks.

I assured him. "What's the worst that can happen? If the kayak tips, you'll swim for the paddle, I'll swim for the boat. We'll meet up on the side and hop back in."

We'll just swim to the side and hop back in...

Happy ending for Nephew: By the end of the trip he was imploring me to hit the "big waves" as we went through the rapids. He even got to the point of throwing his arms up in the air, squealing with delight, as we swooped through the troughs. Go baby!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet he will remember that forever! Good lesson, too.

KK said...

That looks so fun! I don't know who has more fun during times like these: the kid or the adult...

RunBubbaRun said...

I think I would be scared my first time out there as well.

Looked like a fun time.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

You are a good aunt!!!! That is the kind of things that today's children need to learn. Fear can be overcome!!!!