Sunday, June 08, 2008

Views from a Kayak in Wisconsin

I went for a paddle with some friends.

Wave at the mirror, trees.



Shadows out the back way.
I took a detour on an impromptu, flood-created oxbow. As I came out, there were shadows.








Labyrinthine












The things I learned from my paddle...

Dive nosefirst into life. Let your puppy do so too - even if it means he's diving nosefirst into the smelliest, deadest thing in a 50-mile radius.

Be Stevie Nicks and sing for the things money can't buy. I sing for the way my paddle gives a little "kick" and shoves the water back just like my hand as it flexes at the wrist during my catch on the swim.

I sing for a superintendent who has the courage to live by her convictions - and who embraces me as I leave to do the same.

I sing for family and friends, and for all the places to love. Like kayak trips on Wisconsin rivers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous pictures! Looking at them makes me feel like I'm there. The green is so pretty :)

Way to sing for and appreciate the little things...which really aren't small, but awesome. Those things that make you smile are the things that matter.

triguyjt said...

love those pics....
why ohh why do dogs roll in some gastly stuff??

Anne said...

I know you're drained but I also tagged you. Hey, if you can't do it for me, do it for Stevie Nicks :-).

tri-mama said...

looks like you are moving to the hometown of my youth- I think you'll love it! Best wishes to you