Monday, February 26, 2007

Was it the Gas or the Ladies?

I am quite a feminine woman. But I am also a feminist. Equality for all. No prejudices based on sex. My husband has always agreed with this and we've prided ourselves on being stereotype-busters. But... is my husband the man he has always claimed to be? All of this snow has created a revealing situation.

History: Chris has never shoveled our driveway. I am the resident snow-shoveler. And if a neighbor is unable to shovel, I shovel for them too. Which I have been doing for NeighborLady these past few weeks.

BUT, this weekend Chris got home from work on Saturday morning and couldn't get in our driveway. So he stumbled into the garage, discovered where the shovels hang, and proceeded to shovel a path into our driveway. He gets no more than 3 shovelfuls flung when NeighborLady comes out and offers him the use of her just-purchased snowblower.

Now my husband has always bucked the stereotype that "the smell of gas gets (his) blood pumping," as my father once put it. Every male in the room had hastened to agree - except Chris. (That's my boy!)

So on Saturday morning, it was "with reluctance" that he assented to use NeighborLady's snowblower to do our driveway. And hers. And the neighborlady's across the street. And the neighborlady right next door. And the sidewalk for the couple across the street. And the family right next to them. By this time, I had awoken and peered out the window to watch all of this. I rubbed my eyes. Yep, it was Chris.

He cut quite a dashing figure, sort of like Arnold in The Terminator, all square-shouldered and relentless. The snow would blow up and blast him, obscuring him from view. Moments later, he would emerge from the haze - still square-shouldered, still moving the snow. I wasn't the only one who noticed.

Everywhere the guy went, women poured out of their houses to chitchat with him (at least it looked like chatting from my vantage point!), and daintily shovel some ancillary piece of property.

Now who should happen to call, but my dad. Naturally, I filled him in. He clearly enjoyed the scene as much as I did - with not a little gloating, "Oh yeah, nothin' like that smell of gas in the morning." Just then, the plot thickened. NeighborLady followed him into our driveway with her shovel. Dad suggested posting "No Trespassing" signs. On Chris.

Sunday morning was a repeat. With the addition of a plate of homemade "thank you" cookies. Hmm... so what am I to blame (thank?) for this transformation: Was it the smell of gas - or the scent of a woman? And which way do I want this question answered? I mean, if he's been a secret gearhead all this time, what does that do for women's - or men's - lib?

On the other hand, what if it's the ladies? Or maybe that's OK, as long as he's only blowing their snow. Huh, I can hear it already, "But Honey, I was just blowing her snow."

Oh, what a quandary! Do I buy him a snowblower of his own? Bake more cookies? Dab gasoline behind my ears?

Spring cannot come too soon! Out damn snow!

14 comments:

jwm said...

It's the women, maybe a little bit the gas. But fear not, a little harmless driveway clearing is all fine for a few cookies and *gasp* eyelash batting. As long as he comes home to dry off.

Rethink this advice if he's still doing this when the weather turns toward bikini temps. (of course in wisconsin there could still be snow on the ground I suppose).

-jwm

Bree said...

Is Chris for hire? Send him my way.
My husband smells often smells like gas. :)

RunBubbaRun said...

If he starts wearing a tank top while blowing snow, then you might have to worry a little bit.

he dosen't watch "desperate housewives" does he?

Unknown said...

I actually think it was similar to when men act all strong at the gym. I think he was having fun with the snow blower and became Mr. Man with his newly acquired driveway clearing skills courtesy of NeighborLady's snowblower.

jbmmommy said...

I think it was the gas first, maybe encouraged by the women later.

I wish we needed a snow blower this year- what a lame winter it's been.

Unknown said...

Boys and toys. Mine did it the other day with his new leaf blower (no snow down hear in GA). It's cute and amusing, so just continue to enjoy the show. And go ahead...make his day, get him a snowblower of his own!

Fe-lady said...

Just blame it on too much winter and not enough sunshine..I wonder what the neighbor ladies will think of him to do then? Keep us posted!
"Honey I was just blowing her snow..." too funny!

Triteacher said...

Oh man, Fe-lady, you hit the nail on the head. One NL already hit him up to install a door for her this spring!

TriShannon said...

Too funny! I say keep sending him out if you get cookies in return. :)

Michelle said...

My husband would be so proud. To him, gas and an engine is akin to blood and a heart. Take it from a true gearhead's wife, it's not about the women. In a way, this is just as concerning!

Steve Stenzel said...

Posting the NO TRESPASSING sign on Chris is a GREAT idea. It was totally the ladies, but in a completely innocent way (unless Chris was wearing tight, short cut-offs!).

Eric said...

Relish in the moment that you have an awesome husband and others recognize that.

But if any one of them gets too close.....KICK SOME ASS!

The Fool said...

Make him wear a full ski mask. Then he'll look scary.

TriDaddy said...

Once a man gets that smell of gas in his nostrils... there's no going back! Be on the lookout for secret tool purchases at Sears.