Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Tag #2: Ironman

Hee, hee, I'm really milking this tag. My apologies for the shame I bring upon your house, Bubba. Ready for #2, kids?

2. Describe a memory from your most recent triathlon.

With Ironman, I really can't describe "a memory." It's so much more than that. I like to think of it really, in 3 (very creative) phases: Before, During and After....

Before: Becoming Ironman
The Becoming (as xt4 so aptly put it) is HUGE. It involved more training and dedication than I was even sure I was capable of. It meant believing in myself and pushing myself - and setting limits. I had to decide what price I was willing to pay for the race. And it was a decision I had to keep on making.

What sacrifice is too big? Family time? Quality of instruction provided for my students? Possible long-term damage to my knees? Expense upon expense upon expense? And with each new roadblock, I made an informed decision and juggled and compromised - or just flat-out drew the line in the sand.

All those moments of crisis in the "Before" had to be dealt with. You can't look past that. It was really baptism by fire - over and over again. I was being shaped into iron, one choice at a time.

That sounds really rough, but it wasn't all tough decisions, of course. It was also the moments of stunning self-actualization and pure bliss:
  • Riding down a hill at 45 mph, whooping at the top of my lungs.
  • The afterglow in meeting the next benchmark in distance. Topping out at 6 hours of riding. Swimming for flippin' 2 hours straight!! Woof.
  • The ability to eat whatever the hell I wanted without guilt.
  • Pride in finding that what my body wanted was tuna and lettuce and garden tomatoes.
Yes, it was good, too.

During: Becoming Ironman
Then September 10th came. And I loved it. I have so many images that still give me shivers:

  • All of the bikes neatly racked in the transition area, lit by those early morning strobes.
  • Running up the helix through the tunnel formed by a wildly-cheering crowd.
  • Handing my bike off to my brother and kissing my dad.
  • At mile 23, telling a bemused, smiling husband that this was fun and there might be more of these in my future.
Madison is a beautiful place for a race.

After: Being Ironman
Ironman is the gift that keeps on giving.
I'm still inspired by it. And what's more - the people around me are inspired by it. The day I got back to school after IM was picture day. I wore my finisher's shirt and medal. I then sent this picture with my thank you cards.

Five months later, it is still on my parents' fridge. Strong Sister keeps it propped on her nightstand.

Ironman has meant so much to me and to those in my life. Immediately after Ironman, I was blue - mourning all of the things I'd lose now that Ironman was over. Five months out, I'm realizing that the Iron Me is the new default setting. All of those qualities I'd gained through Becoming, by Becoming, are still here. They are better felt than expressed, but have to do with confidence and self-reliance, belief that I can get the job done.

From here forward, everything is shaped through the lens of Becoming and Being Ironman. By default.

6 comments:

qcmier said...

This is a generic comment declaring that I've been here and have been reading your posts.

RunBubbaRun said...

Hey, a face behind the blogger "rock" pic :)

Your family staying out there waiting for you thru IMWI, that rocks the house..

Great soggy memories to all that day.

ps. IMKY '08???

Anne said...

For some reason I can't see the pictures to support such wonderful prose.

xt4 said...

Yes yes. Such a great post. I'm just having some similar realizations now - the aftershocks of this thing still pervasive. Sometimes I want to turn to you, QC, Pharmie, Sara, bubba, everybody and just grin, stupid, and say, "Can you believe we did this? Can you think of anything cooler?" Good stuff, teach. Good stuff.

Triteacher said...

X - I am so with you. We ROCK!

Bubba, my pic disappeared! I have no idea why. Oh well, I'm not toooo disappointed...

Thanks, Anne. :)

Vanilla, QC.

greyhound said...

Hey tri-teacher. Thanks for a wonderful post. I needed it. I'm signed up for IMWI '07 and was just starting to have that first bout of "do I really want to do this?" I do.