Sunday, March 18, 2007

Stealing Faster's Secret

My master's swim coach has been telling me for months to spend more time on my side. He's been very gentle about it, patiently reminding me after a suitable interval of non-improvement has passed. But yes, reminding me. He clothes these reminders in different forms, hoping it will sink in. I fear I've sunk the poor man's analogies. He has told me to:
  • Spend more time on my side
  • Put my arm over the log
  • Catch with my armpit too
Then I ran into Faster at the pool today. I observed him carefully, watching his catch, his pull, his recovery. The man is a marvel - a flippin' torpedo. He seemed to travel 3 yards off of each pull.

Then I noticed his barrel of a belly. Though not huge, it was sizable enough to mark his progress through the pool. It swung from side to side like a pendulum, regular as clockwork.

Eureka! That's when it hit me.

Faster was spending a lot of time on his side. That metronomic belly showed me. I have learned a lot from watching Coach. But he is lean - all muscle, skin and bone. He couldn't show me what Faster did. I can now visualize "on my side," and enact it.

Like Faster, I have a barrel. Except it's higher on my anatomy. Not to be indelicate, but I have "twin barrels". I have never thought of the girls as allies before, but could they be trained to carry their own weight?

Right then and there, I marshaled the troops, instructing them that as soon as I started swimming, they were to look right and then left. Look right and then left... I can't wait to show Coach!

Ha! I have snuck behind enemy lines and stolen the secret! I chuckle and smack my lips as I consume an extra serving of M&Ms. Now, instead of cursing my excess and binding it to my body, I am officially recruiting it in the pursuit of Faster!

7 comments:

Anne said...

Hmmmm. I wonder what this means for those of us with "three barrels" -- yours and Faster's.

Unknown said...

You completely blind sided me with the whole "twin barrels" analogy.

You have a way with words. I'll try to keep the pictures in my mind PG rated, or maybe PG13. How's that?

jwm said...

No wonder all the fast women pass me at the races. More barrels. It's just not fair. Good luck.

BTW, I know what you mean. You can read advice long enough that you know the rules, then one day you see or hear something and "OH!".

-j(hopeing for a sub 1:45 swim split)wm

The Fool said...

Good powers of observation... Follow the path of least resistance. I have heard from my tri friends that 'corkscrewing' you way through the water allows you to slip through creating less drag... Of course I understand it only in theory cause I still can't do it. Yet.

BUT hey no fair using flotation devices! Are those legal? (er, was that indelicate?)

RunBubbaRun said...

"twin barrels", maybe if eat enough M&M's I can get a pair to help me with my swimming...

At this point I just might try it..

You do a have way to phrase things.

ps. thanks for the swim advice..

TriShannon said...

Totally laughing out loud!! I'm sure that at some point during my swim tomorrow I will think about this post and randomly start laughing again.

My coach says "point your belly button at the wall" and "slice through the water lake a sail boat and not plow through the water like a flat barge"

Rachel said...

I LOVE those swimming breakthroughs.