Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Smell of the Track

Confession: I made a rookie mistake. I over-wore my shoes and, as punishment, the gods of triathlon banned me from running.

At left: The Culprits - Any guesses as to which heel is hurting?

Last night I decided to see just how badly I could twist the knife. I walked Piper to the track. Just to check it out. Just to see if I was really missing out, or if the triathlon gods have spared my self-pitying, old-shoe-wearing, plantar-fascitis-bearing sorry sack of a self.

They have.

The track still has at least 100 yards of ice and snow; I wouldn't dare to run on this surface yet. YES!!! But there were enough clear parts that I got a whiff of rubbery track seasoned with spring. Ooh, am I ready!

I was able to run this morning. See the HEROES at right. My heel hurts, but it has plateaued to a bearable, non-limpable amount of pain. Doable. As long as I continue to RICE - or at least ICE.

My next intervals shall be on track. (Tee hee. Clever double entendre, no?) By next Wednesday, the snow/ice will be gone, my heel will be healed, and I. Will. Run.

'Til then - I will swim until I'm pruney, bike until my quads burst - and run in moderation. Penitent as I feel, I may even throw in an extra lift. Fair enough, tri gods?

5 comments:

The Fool said...

Speaking of Double- entendre......

Heed the head, and heel that heal..no wait..Heal that heel.

And no more extraordinary feats for the feet.......for a while anyway.

Good tracking to you! Soon!

RunBubbaRun said...

You should just offer the old shoes to the tri gods or at least to the dog for amusement.

"bike until my quads burst", don't forget to show pics of that on your blog :)

ps. there you go again, throwing big words at me to look up.

Unknown said...

Oooopsie! At least you had a good excuse to buy new shoes!

The R of RICE is always the hardest, isn't it?

Steve Stenzel said...

Weird post:

- intervals on track

- heel will be healed

Are you high?

jbmmommy said...

Hope you're recovered soon, at least you've got plenty of activity to fill the time. Take care.