Monday, March 26, 2007

Finding the Rhythm

I saved a toad's life tonight. And it all happened because I let the rhythm find me today.

Let me back up a little bit. It was that kind of Monday. Up later than I intended, I had to leave the house one cup shy of my usual dose of caffeine - and the day continued that way.

Then I got home with every intention of doing the 1 hour bike, 20 min. run on my training plan. But there was Chris. With Piper. All suited up and ready for a trek through a cornfield on a 70 degree day. I have a weakness for such things. Instead of donning my bike shoes, on went the hiking boots. Two hours later, we had rehashed Chris's weekend at work, decided yet again to postpone moving to another locale, and prevented Piper from rolling in a dead skunk. (He beat us to the punch last week - aargh.)

Then it was home to supper, followed by blogging. Mid-blog-reading, I suddenly felt the urge to bike. I estimated that I still had 45 minutes of light and was out the door within 5 minutes. And up to 17 MPH by .12 mile. That's when I got the first inkling that sometimes you win by letting go of the best laid plans and letting the rhythm find you.

The rhythm that found me was the mating song of spring - every bullfrog and his uncle was out there in the marshes calling for a girlfriend. Two foxes scuttled across the road in front of me, I braked for a herd of deer and - a little over an hour later - wound up safe and sound at home with 18 miles under my belt.

But I was not done banging the drum yet. I transitioned into my running shoes (1:09) and was back out the door for my 20 minute run. Somebody gave my legs speed or something because they completely forgot about the 10:15 miles they were doing yesterday and ran around 8s.

I was pumping it home when who should I see out in the middle of the road but Mr. Toad, trying to soak up the last heat of the pavement. A quick glance behind me revealed a speeding car driven by a pack of the town's cruising teenagers.* There was about a block between Mr. Toad and certain death. I had to make a decision fast - and decided to risk it all. I swooped out to the middle of the road, scooped up Mr. Toad (for which he promptly thanked me by peeing on my hand) and placed his cold little body in the grass.

How's that for rhythm?

(*OK, the car was being driven by the town granny who was a block away and creeping up at 10mph, but just go with this here.)

11 comments:

RunBubbaRun said...

The presence of road kill is always an unplesant site.

TriTeacher with the "save".

Great job on the brick workout. You are getting way to fast these days. I'm running out of breath just thinking about it.

Unknown said...

Great story. I often find myself going out of my way on the trails as what initially appear to be rocks turn out to be turtles. I'm sure Mr. Toad was just startled, hence the peeing, rather than ungrateful!

The Fool said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Fool said...

She's faster than a speeding Granny, more powerful than a herd of deer, Able to leap on Pipers dead skunk roll and a peeing toad with a single bound........ .......Shes.....Shes.... TRITEACHER!!!!!

AH, but her kryptonite is Doggies and cornfields!

Your secret's out now!

Wow, you make me tired just thinking of it. you pulled a triple. I hope you re-fueled today!!

E-Speed said...

what a reward, toad pee!

Sounds like you had a great night despite the present though!

Unknown said...

Mr Toad's wild ride....

TriShannon said...

Wow... what a day! You just don't stop.

Not an nice way for Mr. Toad to say thanks, but I'm sure he didn't mean it... like Mallie said, just startled. :)

Unknown said...

I am sure the toad was utterly thankful to your kindness and I certainly enjoyed reading.

I must let the rhythm find me at school because this week I have certainly not found it.

Michelle said...

Lots of numbers in this post. I think you may have the affliction of the Type A triathlete personality!

MJ said...

I love when you think all is lost for a workout and you muster up the motivation to get out there and do it and it turns out to be an awesome workout like you describe. I think that's part of why we keep coming back for more...

Nice job!

Dances with Corgis said...

Good job coming in with the save! I don't think I'd want to be cleaning that off.