Sunday, March 11, 2007

Between Fast and Faster

Today I went swimming and ended up in a lane between 2 men. I recognized both of them. On my right was Fast and on my left was Faster.

Fast has been coming to this pool long before even me. My first attempts at lap swimming took place in his daunting presence. When I first started 3 years ago, I could barely keep up to him for 25 yards. By 200, he had lapped me.

I love it when I see Fast at the pool, because I've been marking myself against him these 3 years. I've gained on him little by little. Though we've never spoken to each other, I know his name, and I'm sure he knows mine. But when we're in the pool, both of us are all business - he even moreso than I. He has one speed. Fast. (Hence the name.)

Today I stuck with him for 200 yards. He's still setting the pace and calling most of the shots, but at the end of that 200, I touched the wall even with Fast.

In the other corner, we have Faster. He is friendlier than Fast, and we've exchanged pleasantries. But not names. He's new to the pool, but I hope he'll keep coming. Today I could barely keep up with him for 25 yards, and yep - he lapped me by 200.

But guess what, I've got three years in me yet. Do you think in 3 years that I could be Faster?

13 comments:

Pharmie said...

Most definitely! You may even be "Fastest" by that time.

DV said...

as long as you're in the pool, you win... fast, fastest, or slowest. just getting there is fast enough...

The Fool said...

I wish you a mermaid's tail and Neptune's trident in your quest.....

Swim on, TT.

jwm said...

My way (changing pools to a slower crowd) isn't quite as satisfying.

I like your optimism!

-jwm

TriShannon said...

You bet! Then "Fast" will be working to keep up with you.

tri-mama said...

I love swimming with others, it makes me push myself. I totally cracked up when I just read your lap counter post. I pretty much always swim in sets of 500- each 100 named for a kid or my husband. 75 crawl 25 back. Since I switched to this, I always know exactly how many yards I've done. Good luck finding your wheels.

RunBubbaRun said...

See that is why I stay on the outside slow lane. Watching all you fast people is just so cruel sometimes.

RunBubbaRun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

between slow and slower is where I usually end up. but i admire fast and faster!

Unknown said...

Great post. It's always nice to have a rabbit to chase. And when you can keep up with the rabbit, you have to feel pretty freaking fantastic. Here's to keeping up with "Faster".

Unknown said...

I know you can. Who's better than you? Nobody!

Anne said...

Yes, I predict you'll be Fastest in that amount of time too. It's nice that you have such wonderful motivation. I wonder if Fast thinks he must be slowing down since you're catching up.

Fe-lady said...

Faster-est-ist!
keep chasing these guys...they keep you motivated it sounds like!