Sunday, September 03, 2006

The Important Stuff

So how am I going to pee next Sunday? I know all you men have your fancy little water pistols, but how does a tri-woman do it? While training, I've stopped as much as every 25-30 miles on my bike. However, I found it impossible to make myself stop at my 1/2 IM earlier this year - which made for a quite uncomfortable, obsessed last 20 miles. (Oh man, did my heart leap at every copse of trees I saw, but then my head would say, nope, let's hold out another 10 miles...)

All this thinking today lead me to formulate the following resolutions.

Next week at IM, I will:
  • SWIM: Pee freely and rinse my wetsuit on the way out of the water. (Sorry everyone else, but I bet you're doing it too.)
  • BIKE: Stop as needed, promise to stop at least at mile 56. I will not wet myself. Not because of any personal squeamishness, but because those poor transition area volunteers really don't deserve exposure to all of my body fluids.
  • RUN: EZ-PEEzy, force myself to stop at porta-potties as needed. I know that I won't want to, but at least there will be legal spots available. I'm not so sure about that availability on the bike course.

As before, writing it = I'll do it.

OK workout today, but I felt more fatigued than earlier this week. Afterwards, I fell onto the couch and slept deeply for 40 minutes. I woke up refreshed, but I'm not going to go out and do a marathon or anything.

I swam 45 minutes (on a popular lake on Labor Day weekend. Hmm... kind of more prepared for our mass swim start next week). I ran 90 minutes, but broke my negative splits record held this week. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

And, by the way, it's t-7. (Sigh, shudder, shake, flutter, smile...)

4 comments:

Eric said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and letting me know that the topic of peeing was worth while.

Please post your race number for IM Wisconsin so we can track your progress.

Sounds like you will do fine at Wisconsin.

Jodi said...

Oh, how the subject of peeing in an IM gives me the shivers. Sounds like you have a good plan. I haven't even mastered peeing in my wetsuit yet :(

qcmier said...

Yeah not sure about whizzing on the bike. Although after reading TriEric's post, I gave it a try today. Nothing new on race day right?

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I love it. Fancy water pistols. LOL. this is kind of late, but I just started reading your blog. Well, this sounds weird and kind of gross but I actually had to train myself to pee WHILE SWIMMING. that's all I'm going to say about that. At most longer events. Hopefully you'll have awesome volunteers that will hold your bike while you hit the portapotties. I've decided late this year to switch to 2-piece outfits because the skinsuits are so difficult on the long courses for peeing.