Sunday, September 17, 2006

Here's to New Beginnnings

I sit here with my first glass of wine in I-don't-know-how-many-months and raise it to so many possible beginnings...

Sweet Sister offered to climb a mountain with me.
Strong Sister wants to get me to Boston.
Husband thinks I should take up fishing. And baking cookies.

What do I want?

Last night as I was biking and lifting weights for the first time (nirvana!), I was sure that I would do whatever it took to get to an IM in 2007. But today, after a long trail ride with Puppy Piper and his friend, Bailey, I think hey... wouldn't a PR at a half-ironman be just peachy? Also, wouldn't it be nice to have that shorter distance training schedule, allowing Piper & Bailey to come with me at least some of the time?

I will be a part of the IM Wisconsin '07 though. I will volunteer on both Saturday and Sunday and be there for those athletes (lucky dawgs!) just as this year's volunteers and spectators were there for us. To those of you doing it, I'll be the volunteer toting all the extra pairs of long johns. :)

On September 10th, then, I'll be first in line. Look out '08; here I come.

Sometimes I think I'm more than the sum of my compulsions. This Iron Inside can be put to more use than seeing me through rainy races; it can see me through this - no THAT - postrace depression.

5 comments:

Trisaratops said...

I plan on volunteering, too! That way I can get my "fix." :)

I swam today for the first time since last weekend--2000 yards, just for fun! It rocked!

We'll get through this, somehow...so hard to come down off the high. ha ha

How about Florida '08?

xt4 said...

I'm on the volunteer wagon as well -

"more than the sum of my compulsions" - brilliant! I am so using that...

;)

RunBubbaRun said...

Thanks in advance for volunteering for 2007, if I'm not racing the IM I will be volunteering for IMWI 2008.

If you register in person, you get to get the spot 1 hour before the online people do. Cool deal.

Relax and have some fun, I think we all need it right now.

qcmier said...

Mmmm cookies...

I echo xt4 thoughts about the "sum of my complusions" line. Here's another pint to you.

Triteacher said...

Hey xt4 & qc, mi casa es tu casa.

TST - I'm sorta in love with IM WI. What's Florida got that WI doesn't (aside from the obvious climate differences??)

RBR - I AM having fun, just in that sort of twisted way that endurance athletes do...