Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Go Jump in a Lake

I did just that last night. And the water was... not exactly warm, but then, I did not expect it to be. Yet it was exhilarating. I was so proud of myself for just getting out there. You know you're "crazy" when a complete stranger pulls off the highway to ask what you're up to. You have to admit - the whole "crazy triathlete" thing does have its appeal. And that was just in the parking lot when I was putting on my wetsuit, swim socks and skull cap. Cute.

Then I dove into the water. I'm guessing that the temp was around 62 degrees. My face and hands recoiled a bit, but the rest of my body stayed toasty warm. Wetsuits are amazing. I'm so glad I went with a full suit; I knew that I'd be wanting to maximize my time in the lakes.

I have a long history of this; I remember swimming in May one year. I was a kid and those were my pre-wetsuit days. It has long been a point of pride in my family about who takes the first swim in my family's "lake" - really a glorified pond. And remember, the setting is Wisconsin: home of the icicle. Now, with my wetsuit... look out siblings. We're re-writing the records book.

Last night there was a fine chop going on. Kind of reminded me of... oh where was that??... Oh yeah, Lake Monona on September 10th. EXCEPT I was alone so I had that water all to myself to swallow. Which I did. I also was alone to soak up the autumn sun - truly a precious commodity.

I settled into that swimming rhythm, thoughts of school alternating with thoughts of my technique and Ironman memories, Chris's birthday coming up... and lasted a very comfortable 45 minutes. As I exited the water, a couple on the beach stopped necking long enough to stare at me, then give a little wave in response to mine. Isn't joy that way? You just can't keep it bottled up inside. It leaks out of me all the time!

Now you have some of it too.

5 comments:

Trisaratops said...

That sounds like FUN! I went for a walk with Mugsy today up around the Lake (Erie) and it looked so calm and blue...I have to admit I did think, "Man...that looks perfect for a swim..."

Aren't we sick?

Rachel said...

Congrats on IM WI, first off. That's awesome.

Fun swim. I always hate the thought of how cold the water will be beforehand. Once I'm in, it's fine. It's the anticipation that I hate.

RunBubbaRun said...

I'm glad I'm not the only who feels like swimming in the lake after all that training. Sounded like fun.

qcmier said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
qcmier said...

Kind of like what a few of us did on New Year's