Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Teacher is Taut

Methodical and patient. That is how I have to be right now.


I calmly focus first on getting that ineffable feel of "tautness" in the water. Like my body is corkscrewing tightly around the axis of my torso. It takes time. The first 200 warm-up is spent achieving that feeling – just the right amount of stretch, reach, and time spent on my side before I begin the slow rotation back to my other side. I put a dipstick in – I count my stroke for a length to see how I'm progressing. Eighteen is good enough, 17 is better, 16 means it's a really good day in the water.


Next I focus on the catch. I follow each arm through the full motion of scraping the rim of the big bowl in front of me. I keep my elbow high. Again, I know I've achieved success by the "feel" of it. My biceps and triceps let me know when I'm pulling all of the water I should be.


This time, the woman in the next lane will serve as my measuring tool. She is fast. I don't know her, but my eyes nearly bugged out of their goggles when she sped by me on my warm-up. She has been interesting to watch. She races to the end of the lane, touches - and while her head is out of the water, makes a giant breathing sound that I've only heard before in the spouts of whales. Then she dives back under for another kickin' 25. I have taken note and have been working up to this part of the workout. The part where I'll match myself with her.


My torso elongates, my arms pull, sweep, grab every drop of water they can. She beats me to the end, but my flip turn pulls me even with her. My flip turns make it possible for me to stay with her for 200 yards.


My flip turns. I taught myself them in a hotel pool when I was first starting triathlon. We were on a family vacation and I ditched everyone for the day to stay in the pool. Over and over I somersaulted, getting water up my nose, getting dizzy, going into the flip too early and having my feet completely miss the wall… until finally, at 4:00 that afternoon, I proudly ran to my family and dragged them poolside to watch me flip.


As I've swum this week, I have reflected on this little swimming empire I've built. It has taken nine years of practice. Of being methodical and patient. The tautness, the confidence in the water has been taught, worked for, hard-won. I didn't learn everything new in one day – or even one week.


I can't meet all of the challenges of my future at the precise moment when I'm strong enough and have enough energy for them. Instead I'm finding that I have to be steady. Patient. Methodical. I have to get water up my nose sometimes and wait interminably (it seems) for that ineffable feeling of tautness. I have to wait for all of my various forms to be returned, for my stinkin' paperwork to be processed, for the schools to call me for interviews. (I have already woken up in the wee hours tingling with the electricity of ideas for what to say in my interviews. I know - really sexy, but hey, that's where I'm at.) And then I'll have to wait for word on whether or not I have the teaching job. That's a lot of waiting.


Deep, whale-like exhalation.


And I remind myself: Rome wasn't built in a day. My swimming empire was not built in a day. My Colorado future will take time too.


Under the water I go again.

7 comments:

triguyjt said...

cannot flip turn to save my life...

you are way ahead of me tri-teacher...

"whale like breath exhalation"

haha

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I have been working on my flip turns. They seem to be getting a little better, but since I don't need them in open water, its the least of my worries.

Great job on your swimming and your use of the english language.

Fe-lady said...

one day at a time...you'll get what you need at the right time.

Anonymous said...

You know what it takes...you're doing the hard part right now. Keep with it, and before you know it you'll be having many "16 stroke days" in Colorado. Then you can reflect on this hard-won battle and be just as proud of it as you are your little swimming empire!

Remember you are strong...like mom :)

Oh, and BTW, when there's something really big going on in my life, I always work through things in my sleep or wake up with brilliant ideas during the night!

Unknown said...

That's a really beautiful analogy.

KK said...

I just stumbled across your blog. I am a teacher (elementary), triathlete and Colorado transport originally from the midwest, too! Feel free to contact me when you get out here if you need help connecting with teaching and/or tri groups. Best of luck, it is great out here! (kohlkl@hotmail.com)

Oh and great post, I can totally relate :)

GetBackJoJo said...

Patience, waiting--so hard!
I'm pretty good at the focus and hard work, but not so good at the patience and not so good at remembering that it everything takes time.
You are so courageous!