Sunday, April 27, 2008

I Did That Thang

I did that thang
where you get on your bike
and you ride somewhere
anywhere
just cuz you're back
from where you've eaten Mom's cooking
all weekend
and then she packed
homemade cheesecake
for you
and 15 of your closest friends
and somehow it ended up on the front seat
and by the time you get home
you realize that you are fortunate that friendship is not based on your ability to deliver the cheesecake and know that 15 friends will be none the wiser
but you also know that you need to get on that bike
going somewhere
anywhere
cuz it's sunny out today not to mention 23 degrees warmer than yesterday
so you go do that thang
where you get on your bike
and you take the first road that catches your fancy and ride it
up, up, up this one goes
past frogs rrreee-rrreee-rrreee ing
paralleling a crane for half a mile
flying side-by-side
twin stretched necks
hers long and graceful
culminating in a beak
yours stretched and musclely
culminating in aerobar tips
The road T's and you choose into the wind
while she keeps flying straight
and you're on your own
just you and the thoughts of the weekend
the relay run
the family
the strong-willed women who lunched together and laughed at themselves until interrupted by the family men who crashed the party wearing robes
begging for kisses (the loudest was my dad)

And then you think of nothing
just wear that goofy grin
and soak it all in-in
a peaceful spot
a staying spot
a sunny spot without
and in

I did that thang
where I got on my bike
and went somewhere
anywhere
everywhere

9 comments:

Fe-lady said...

Love the picture of you riding along with the crane.
I enjoy hooking up with a hawk at times.
Laughing at rabbits turning flips in mid-air and changing direction.
Smile as I drift off into my afternoon nap, dreaming of the macaroni salad in the fridge that will be accompanied by salmon and beer.
Ride on....

triguyjt said...

enter that poem in some kinda competition....thats was nice.... but care-free...just like the riding....caressing the wind..inviting it....teasing it...

cool stuff there...
ride on

Anonymous said...

Girl, you have a way with words...you totally captured the emotions of a good bike ride.

I was flying with a bird on my ride yesterday :)

BTW, I totally understand the mom's cooking thing and the lunch thing.

jwm said...

Cheesecake and biking sound familiar..

The rest sounds nice. Keep it up.

-jwm

RunBubbaRun said...

Always like reading your ryhmes and hearing about doing your "thang"..

Sometimes you just have to go where the road takes you..Always better than sitting on your "thang"..

xt4 said...

That was fantastic, t.

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice!

Michelle said...

That was wonderful! I want to go where you were going!

KK said...

I loved the poem! Nice work. And you inspired me to go for a bike ride this weekend.