Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Study in Contrasts

Did you ever notice that you can especially appreciate feeling good after a period of feeling downright crappy? I can finally smile today. I've made headway in so many arenas of my life this week (paper blizzard nearly managed on the job front, moving plan taking shape, spring weather finally starting).

This study in contrasts would be well-illustrated by a pair of rides I did this week. Check it out...

Tuesday night's ride home: 1:54, 13.7 MPH Average.
There was a KILLER headwind that hurt even as a crosswind. Think frontal attack for 20 miles interspersed with 5 miles of lateral attack. I know two languages and exhausted my swear words in both. At one point, I was pedaling downhill and topped out at 14 MPH.

Theeen...

Wednesday's ride to school: 1:20, 19.5 MPH Average.
That killer headwind stuck around to become a killer tailwind. Woot!

I smiled on Wednesday morning for oh, approximately 1 hour, 20 minutes.

9 comments:

jwm said...

I'm not clear on the exact rule.. but you should stay in the small ring and put tape over your speedometer/powermeter/anyLCD until at least May.

The smile rides are wonderful, non?

-jwm

Team Brazo said...

Ya, I understand the Study in Contrasts -- I normally smile all spring/summer/fall and then stop the smile all Winter.

So, after a "Outside" bike ride today -- I'm smiling...

triguyjt said...

love that headwind

whooooo hoooo

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the not-so-good ride was first, so you could really enjoy the awesome ride with a lingering smile the next day!

Don't ya just love how some things can do that?! I've been walking around with a permanent smile (think "Joker" from Batman) all week simply because of a tri :)

Unknown said...

Glad you're making headway in many areas of life. :)

RunBubbaRun said...

Glad your moving plans are going full steam ahead.

Your killing me with the bike rides, I think I just rode outside for the 1st time outside on sunday..

Yeah, those headwinds can really suck out there.

Michelle said...

Yah, what's up with the wind!!?? Sounds pretty similar to some of my rides this week. Enjoy the tailwinds!!

ace said...

Back in the "good ole days," I remember when the wind actually went away and hid somewhere from time to time. Now it seems, strong winds do actually last all day, all week, and all of tri season. At least it seems that way whenever I want to ride.

Congrats on movement in all areas of your life!

GetBackJoJo said...

Here's to the tailwind!
Hope things have evened out a bit and are steady and calm now...