Thursday, April 03, 2008

Good Kid

I've been a good kid since my confession on Tuesday night. I shut down the Pringles factory, limited myself to ONE glass of the sweet red stuff, and have had salads for supper. You guys really do it for me.

I've even been working out. I did a sunlit run with the Weimaraner in my life yesterday evening - 30.32 with 3 hills AND I did a bike/swim brick tonight.

Tonight's numbers:
Biked 25 miles, 1:18 (Or thereabouts; someone forgot to turn on her bike computer at the start!)
Swam 53.32

I biked to my pooltown tonight and jumped right into a master's swim class. I'd been expecting to swim alone, but Coach welcomed me to his new class - pointed to a lane and told me to "speed them up." It was awesome. I know how to swim. It made me reflect on how far I've come. Three years ago, I would have been intimidated by that situation. Tonight I did it without thinking twice. I jumped in, introduced myself, made fast friends, and shared the lead appropriately as we figured out our relative speeds. I'm so calm in the water. It feels natural. Even when I was choking on water on our fast set, I knew to trust myself, to finish out the count and clear my throat on the breath. It sounds impossible when you think about it; it's a do kind of thing, the kind of thing that comes automatically after years of practice. The kind of thing I appreciate at a time like this when I'm more aware and reflective.

On the move: I've been getting the job done on finding my CO job - or at least getting the license. I sent more faxes yesterday than I've sent in the rest of my life cumulatively. And I've started to say some of the sweetest good-byes ever. There have been tears, but they've been shared tears, mutual admiration tears - the kind of tears that mean we're going to keep in touch even though we're 1022 miles apart. I've been collecting letters of recommendation too, and if that doesn't make a guy's head swell, I don't know what will. I haven't told a ton of people - and those I have are sworn to secrecy - but I know. It's changed me. I am more appreciative and more aware of everything as I go through my day. My days here are numbered and I'm going to make each one of them count.

My life is good.

4 comments:

jwm said...

I kept waiting for the "but".. Nice work.

-jwm

Anonymous said...

That's the cutest dog :)

Way to jump right into the swim class with no intimidation!! (I still have a hard time asking someone if I can share a lane..hehe). I like that "feeling calm and natural in the water" part. I have moments of it but want more, so I'm sticking with it!

Sounds like you are taking some great leaps of faith, not just in the water ;) Good for you!

Trisaratops said...

SO excited for the new chapter in the mountains to begin for you!

Best of luck!

Anne said...

Things certainly sound on the upswing for you. Amazing what a change of scenery can do to energy levels, especially when temporarily zapped by all those forms and faxes.

I do hope the Pringles factory here shuts down soon 'cause I could stand to 'lay off' the chips for awhile.