Sunday, April 06, 2008

Mile High Memories


L: My first day ever skiing in the mountains. My smile here is all bravado; I am quaking in my boots. I'd just wiped out in a big, bad way - see the snow packed into the zipper of my ski pants. I picked myself up and made it to the bottom of that run though. FYI for the numbers folks: our last run took 16 minutes, 28 seconds. Now that's skiing.

Above R: My recovery meal and compensation for having to sit with frozen corn on my knee the whole next day.



Falcon rests in the open space that adjoins my sister's backyard. These open spaces were built for drainage, I am told, but for the fresh air fiends of Colorado - and their visiting siblings - they are an escape to the wild.







Laced with running trails and arroyos, dotted with prairie dog communities and a favorite haunt for coyotes, the open space drew me out of the house every day. Denver and the mountains serve as
a backdrop.


Chatfield Reservoir as seen from Plymouth Mountain. I hadn't taken my camera on the bike ride I'd inadvertently ended up doing around the reservoir three days prior to this so I was absolutely thrilled to get a view of it on my hike. In the foreground is aptly-named Dinosaur Ridge, another hike that is on my to-do list.

Anytime you can wear shorts in snow, you're in my kind of country. Two runners - they had to be Bubba-like crazies (read ultra-runners) looped by me twice on this hike. They were attired in singlets and running shorts. I felt over-dressed and under-trained.


Two of the best hiking companions
you ever will come across. They were rocking the car with snores by the time I finished using the restroom at the end of our hike.






A little Colorado color framed by a picnic shelter. I love all the neutral, earth tones used in the architecture in the state. The outdoors is embraced.

I think I'm gonna like it there...

8 comments:

triguyjt said...

that last photo was gorgeouos...
love the earth tones, like you said....

bubba is quite the ultra runner, isn't he???

dogs are cuties...

Unknown said...

Looks beautiful!!

Fe-lady said...

A body KNOWS where it needs to be!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! Yeah...you're gonna like it there!!

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Great pics. I think you will really enjoy the new location.

RunBubbaRun said...

I really think you are going to Love it out there. You luv nature and that is wear a person needs to be to experience it..

I should have lent you my snowshoes for the hike..

NIce pics,

Steve Stenzel said...

Great photos! And that IS quite a ski-run!! Holy cats!

Michelle said...

I think you are going to like it there. Seems to fit your personality to a tee.