Tuesday, November 04, 2008

What You Don't Know About Me

What you don't know about me
is that
I can
You see the ache
the twisted knee
the bruised hip
the unbendable back

But I know better

In the pool
I am invincible
I am nearly myself again
I am myself minus flip turns,
the drive
the determination
the litheness
the piss & vinegar
are mine

I swim hard
I inhale,
sucking air
and unavoidably
am rewarded with a healthy swish of
stale chlorinated water
My epiglottis does its job
closing off my my trachea
In these timed 50s
I can't expend milliseconds expelling water
or swallow it
I must let it swill
I have a job to do
I have to keep moving

I fight hard and make the
4 x 50 on 60 seconds

These 50s that took me
75 seconds 2 weeks ago when
I first wet myself in the pool again
I am happy
but
the bar is being raised
I anticipate and dread
but make
the 4 x 50 on 55 seconds
and fight, fight, fight
for the 4 x 50 on 50 seconds

I make #1 with 2 seconds rest
I have 1 second to spare on #2
for #3 I am a second late
but I shove off anyway
knowing that
I can
I will
next time
or the time after that
because

In the pool
I am transformed
In the pool
I know
I feel
I anticipate
the big things
I am yet capable of...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this picture of you!

Way to go taking it one day at a time. The pool is a great place to heal and get stronger.

In the pool or not, your spirit will always be invincible ;-)

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice job in the pool!! Way to build up that speed!

KK said...

does this mean you are on your way to recovery? Sure sounds like it, way to rock those 50s, especially with no flipturn!

Anne said...

Nothing beats water therapy after you've been beaten down a bit -- does it? Sounds like you're experiencing a healthy recovery after the crash. Great to hear!

Unknown said...

You have such a great attitude. I'm glad you have the pool to build up your body and spirit. :-)

Fe-lady said...

you go!

(a much younger version of myself I see in you-keep up the good fight!)