Tuesday, November 18, 2008

76

The number of minutes I anticipate it will take me to get home tonight.
76
The number of times I woke up last night.
38 times scared.
38 times excited. Anticipating.

I have a knot in my stomach.
It's called biking.
It's called commuting home.
I'll be on that road again.
Or not.
I have the bike map and might take a longer route home.
Or I might just get back on that horse and face my demons.
Ooh, that felt like gargling with ipecac.

Make me strong.
Make me brave.
Make me just do it
and revel in it
and come to that easy pass
with biking
where I don't even think about it
except to get the good shivers of anticipation.
Make me visualize today's Denver temps of 70s
and sun
riding toward those iridescent blue mountains
now topped with white...

76 minutes most-anticipated,
here I come.

Post script: It took me 80. And I wondered. Is this OK pain or the kind of after-a-serious-injury-needs-to-rest pain? But then... I neared home and the peace happened. The kind of peace that comes only from biking. Ahh...

Stats: 1:20.45, 21.47 miles, 15.9 Av

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the pain turned to peace :)

Take it slow and easy though, and watch out for those crazy drivers out there.

Fe-lady said...

You got back on that horse and showed it who is boss.
Proud of you...just take it slow and cautious!

KK said...

Way to face those demons and get back in the saddle again.

This weather has been just awesome!

Glad you are back at it.

ace said...

I'm sad to admit, I've been absent from blogging. As such, I've not stopped by in a while to touch base and see what you would have to say with the incredible words I've come to appreciate you for. Your words, you see have always been a comfort, a joy, and an inspiration to me.

I'm saddened deeply by the pain you've experienced, but I must admit the gentle, strong soul I've come to know from reading her words is as resilient as she is insightful.

I've known the pain of injury -- of bike wrecks, and severely pulled hamstrings, and ruptured achillles'. But nothing hurts worse than not knowing. "Will I heal?" "Will I be the same?" That is the true pain we suffer when things such as these happen.

You have nothing to fear. Nothing to worry over. You will heal. Partially because you are young. And you are strong. But mostly because you are the inspired soul that you are.

May you heal, train and continue write well. Namaste.

Anne said...

Now I know the modern equivalent of getting back in the saddle. What a long way you've come in a short amount of time.

And, hope you don't mind, but given the good news, I tagged you to do a meme on happiness.