Sunday, November 23, 2008

Staring Problem

He's staring at me. Out of these vivid blue eyes encircled by wire-rimmed glasses. His arms are covered in light blond hair and there's a faded bluish tattoo on one forearm. He is short and muscular. And he is staring at me. He only sort of looks away when I catch him at it.

Unnerved, I shift slightly and continue the Ironman anecdote I am telling my friend out loud, all the while maintaining an internal dialogue. What is his deal? Am I looking that fine tonight in my cords and plain gray T-shirt? Hot on the heals of that comes: Is he wearing a ring?

Does he think he knows me? Is he a cross country parent? Is he going to come over here or just continue to stare?

We move over to supervise the theater entrance closest to the bathrooms. Minutes later I look up and my eyes collide with the vivid blue ones. He is milling outside the women's bathroom. Is it coincidence? Is he legit? Is his female inside?

I lose track of him in the busy-ness of the play.

Until now. Three days later I wake up remembering another set of blue eyes, wire-rimmed glasses, and hairy blond arms. I looked into those eyes and told them that they really needed lumbar support on these stretchers. They, for their part, assessed my vitals and told me I was going to be OK, would probably be home by lunchtime. The hairy blond hands cut off my bike clothes. He told me his name and that of his son, a student at my middle school. I knew the name but not the kid. I've subsequently forgotten the name, but I think I've solved my staring problem.

He was the EMT in the ambulance.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post - amazing how our brain figures stuff like that out, eh? You said it so well...

KK said...

Very creative way to unfold this story. It is always so disorienting to see someone out of context-or to see someone again that you know you've only briefly seen before. Glad you got to the bottom of it and didn't lose too much sleep over it :).

And glad you are on the mend!

Steve Stenzel said...

Wow! Funny how that FINALLY sets in!!

Anonymous said...

Ha! Glad you figured that out :)

So, so glad you're feeling better too!!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say...your "chillin" comment on my photo tag post made me laugh!! Clever girl ;-)

Anne said...

Oh, what a coincidence -- and what a way to introduce it to us.