Thursday, November 22, 2007

Triathlete, Teacher, and Woman Scorned

I have been a besotted, infatuated lover. Who has neglected to return phone calls, dropped friends, and been blind to the faults of the beloved. And now the love affair has come to a screeching halt and... and ... I am a mess.

Oh, for yesterday morning. Yes, it was a headwind and 33°, but I can bike in that. I did bike in that. Last night I walked out to SNOW. There was no way I could have biked home. Maybe skied. Or skated. There's plenty of ice.

Waaaaahhhhh! My lover has faults! His tires are too damn skinny to negotiate snow and ice. My water bottles would freeze before I was halfway home. It's dark both for my morning ride to school and my PM ride home from school. My heart is on the floor. I am on the floor throwing a major kicking and flailing tantrum. "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" made true and painted red.

But then, amidst the tears and all, I spy my little black book. The ace up my sleeve. The rubber strap of a ... a ... swim goggle gingerly pokes its head out from under the piles of biking apparel. There is a teeny, tiny telltale blip in my heartbeat.

Do you think...? Nah! Preposterous. I haven't since.... my right shoulder... but lap swim is tomorrow from 5:00-9:00, my swimsuit is just fine, my swim bag very nearly as I left it (oh, ditched it!) all those many moons ago. I very nearly could. I might.

I will.

Tomorrow morning. Hello world - here comes TRIATHLETE and Teacher.

9 comments:

The Fool said...

TT,

Don't give up on your 'love' too soon. There is always a re-warm next month. You'll be back in the saddle in December......(or at least he'll be back in the spring.. Right?)

That is, if I know you at all... :-)

the fool

jwm said...

Hate to say, this is where (N + 1) comes in handy.. The studded tire commuter comes to mind (an old road bike or new cyclocross bike would work just dandy). Not that there's anything wrong with swimming.

-jwm

xt4 said...

Good lord you are hysterical. A break from the bike might do you a shade of good. Absence making the heart something something. Or...not. I'll await your next post on the topic!

ace said...

Hopefully, the lap swim isn't outside... brrrrr!!! Though a nice steamy pool is a pretty cozy second to the bike IMHO.

Team Brazo said...

Don't give up on him yet -- warm winters make for some easy riding...

Steve Stenzel said...

YEAH!!! Hit that pool!!!!

Anonymous said...

I was all worried at first, not realizing you were talking about your bike...I'm gullible.

This made me chuckle!

teekayes1 said...

You are my hero!

RunBubbaRun said...

I was getting worried you were becoming a true "roadie" there.. There is always Mtn biking in the snow. I think you will like that.

Here comes TT again.