Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Ride

What is the shape of this
burning desire
that I house within...

A friend offers me a ride
"It's colder than you thought;
are you still going to ride?"
People shake their heads at me
"Are you STILL riding to school?"
I can only say
Yes.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
Soars my heart

3:25 tolls and I am in autopilot
I don the gear
slip into it with the efficiency
of long practice
By 3:40 I am out the door
into - yes
the cold
into - yes
the rain
into - yes
my groove

I am starving
famished
my stomach growling
but I won't stop to eat
I'm too focused
it's just too good

The rain is coming down now
my glasses are foggy
but I will not stop
I can't
the motion
the power
the smooth syncronicity of my pedals and the wheels
are all I need

I turn onto Busy Highway
into a headwind
It doesn't faze me
I am almost made into
semi slurry
I dig deeper
pedal harder
faster
a surge of adrenaline
that finds its outlet in yet more
fluid motion
that carries me to my door
too soon

I love to ride.

1:22.21
24.8 miles
18.0 MPH average
43°F, Rain

6 comments:

jwm said...

I gotta smile. Keep it up.

-jwm

Fe-lady said...

You have been bitten....enjoy your miles!
(Be careful too!)

RunBubbaRun said...

I hope you are not talking AM there?

The sound of the ride was making me tired.

Great job, stay safe.

jbmmommy said...

That one made we worry a little for your safety. While you've got a good head on your shoulders, not everyone will pay enough attention, especially in the poor weather. I know you'll keep going, I'll be hoping you stay safe. Enjoy.

While I do enjoy the current style of your posts, do you intend add any narrative back?

Erin said...

All I can say is wow. Amazing. You'll look back on this someday and think the same, too.

Triteacher said...

Hullo All: It was a PM ride. (Phew!) Thank you for the safety wishes. I am working on a post to review my safety gear and strategies. Top secret info will be revealed!

jbmmommy: Drop me an email - and I promise to respond in prose. ;)