Thursday, August 07, 2008

I Am Bike Commuter

It's not as if I didn't see the yellow light. I just knew better than to stop. I know this suburbia-land community well enough to know that at 5:30 AM, the roads are mine. All the mama-teachers, corporate daddies, and burbie-babies are still fast asleep or waking up to laidback cups of latté and ... other fru-fru stuff.

So it's not like I didn't see the light. I just knew better. I also knew that my ride to school is mostly uphill and I'd be damned if I was going to brake for a yellow (-ish, OK, more red by the second, shall we call it orange?) light when I have the only downhill of the ride. Also, it should be said that this was my first commute in the dark so far this year. The air was cool and moist and sweet and... sort of intoxicating. So I blew it. Blew right through that baby at 5:30 AM and fleetingly wondered out of my peripheral vision - out of my peripheral brain - if either of the two cars waiting at the cross streets were police vehicles.

One was. He pulled me over. On my bike. For running an orange light. And I told him the truth. "I'm high on the morning ride." I beamed at him. My face, my smile exuded all the happiness and joie de vivre you can squeeze out of a cool, moist, sweet, fast downhill in the morning. He understood, I think. He gave me a verbal warning. (My third traffic warning in 8 months; the other two were for speeding. In my car, silly! But I digress. Except I am sort of spotting a pattern here. Oops...) Funny thing is - I was almost happy to see him. Such beautiful rides and feelings should be shared with someone.

My little joyfest concluded, I continued on my merry way.

La-la-la-dee-lah. I'm goin' uphill, but's it's all good cuz life is good. The Denver lights are to my right, the mountains to my back. La-la-la-dee-lah.

Then.

Thumpity, thumpity, thump.


Wait. That sound is not a happy sound. I craned my neck down and back to view my rear tire. Flat. Dead as a doornail. Baaaad.

I pulled off onto the side of the road and quickly ascertained that I'd picked up a shard of some moron's glass bottle in my back tire. I carry an extra tube and tire for just such occasions. I whipped them out and changed my first tire of this commute year about halfway through my ride on the side of a getting-busier street with traffic zooming by me. There was no way I was getting that tire up to pressure with my telescoping pump, but I got it up to "rideable" and was back on my way in 15 minutes. Thinking: this would have to happen to me this first week of school when I'm trying to impress my 78 new colleagues and four new administrators. On the first day that I decide to retry the road route instead of the trail. On the first day that I got to wear my headlamp, reflective vest and flashy red tail light. Big, bad boo.

Unbelievably, I made it to school on time. Through orange lights, flashing reds & blues, and a tire change. Up, up with Type As! We leave early enough so that a typhoon wouldn't impinge on our punctuality.

After this morning's ride, I wear the badge. I am Bike Commuter. Hear me roar. See me soar.

6 comments:

KK said...

Congrats on your new status as an official bike commuter. And changing a flat on your way? That immediately elevates you to elite BC status.

P.S. Yellow lights are one of the most annoying things in the world. Glad you blazed right through it :). I hope there aren't any cops reading this...

jwm said...

Really? "I'm high on the morning ride." Gets you out of a blown red light ticket? Wow.

I'm glad you got pulled over. What was the officer to do since there was another witness? A witness who could become a cold, bitter driver because "those bikers don't obey the rules". Or "the cops don't even pull them over".

Cold, bitter drivers. We want less of them.

Be careful out there.

Congrats on commuter status.

-jwm

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you, Bike Commuter...wear the badge proudly!!

Get this - I recently got a speeding ticket, too...the kind where they take a picture of your speeding and send it to you in the mail. It said my location was I40 and the time was 6:35 AM. What the heck, when am I ever on I40 that early in the morning?? Then I read the date...July 23, 2008 ;-)

Anne said...

Please tell me your key to getting out of speeding tickets. I've never been similarly blessed and, trust me, I had the same flushed feeling in a couple of cases.

I bet you reach rock star status in the teacher's lounge by next week.

triguyjt said...

cool on you tri teacher...

not the near ticket or the flat but the satisfaction knowing you control your own destiny out on the road...

Unknown said...

I've been lucky, so far I've only flatted on the way home. Not so much pressure when going home as when getting to work.

There's a stop sign that is notorious for having police waiting for folks to blow through. Luckily, I've seen them every time....so far....