Sunday, August 10, 2008

My Hair Smells Good


My hair smells good
I am just back from a hike
where all the spicy, sagey
plants of CO were on the bake

I have picked up their odor
integrated their roots
borrowed their sage-acity



I have met countless people these last two weeks
some kind
some curious
about me, about Wisconsin, about tris and running,
some self-absorbed
bridges that led only inward
Still others who have sniffed me out and tucked tail to run
They didn't like me
Others with stories bigger and longer and more interesting than mine

I have met countless people
I worked at their sides at our new school
I biked at their sides and
- on the hills -
at their backs (Gax!)
I hiked in their wake
talked and smiled and sifted and sorted
and absorbed this new place

I am here
pinching myself when the sight of the mountains
astonishes me yet again
gripping my handlebars a little tighter
when the Denver lights come into view
and
shaking my head to get a whiff of this
awesome
sagey
spicy
good-smelling hair.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

NEAT! I miss those Rockies terribly!

Anne said...

It sounds like you are truly enjoying the transition to a new life. I'm so happy for you. If only my hikes finishes with me smelling ripe with sage instead of sweat.

Anonymous said...

It is sooo gorgeous there!! So glad you're enjoying the beauty.

Stick with the kind people :)

KK said...

Hey,
Have you ever heard of The Sun magazine? You should submit your poetry to them...you have a gift!

RE: the ride/run plus booze fest you suggested. I'm in (and so is my sister, she is a triathlete living in Denver who likes red wine as much as we do)!!! Name the time and the place and we'll make it happen. School's starting though so this is crazy-time. But we'd love to meet up!

RunBubbaRun said...

Nice view from up there..

Sounds like your "home" and getting adjusted nicely..

Can you bring some of that view amd terrain back here to the midwest when you come for a visit, even for a short while.

xt4 said...

Ah. wow.

I miss you here. Not that I saw you a ton or anything, but I think I miss knowing you were here. Bless you.

Fe-lady said...

I can almost smell it too!
Thanks for the words and the pictures.

Bridges turning inward....yea, that certainly can describe many runner/cyclists/triathletes I know.
Nice phrase.

I wrote a poem in high school about how my hands smelled like mushrooms, and tree bark upon returning from a walk. Brought back that day. :-)

Steve Stenzel said...

Love it! Love the photos too!

Erin said...

Welcome home...so glad to see it suits you.