Sunday, July 27, 2008

Chasin' Trail: Colorado & Mexico

Well, it took four hours and all the water I had, and my nether regions hurt, but I've found it. My bike commute route to school. Yesterday I did the first trial - a one-way trip that took me 1:10. I swore to my family that the way home from my new school was all downhill as speedy as it went. But I also went fast because I was nervous about the cars whizzing past me. So today I decided to try it round trip, looking for trail to circumvent the heavily-trafficked streets and highways of yesterday. I found about 2/3 trail on the way there and then on the way back looked even harder.

I can claim unmitigated success - providing I can piece the thing all together again. I was out there searching for four hours, but I predict that once I get it downpat, the commute will take me an hour and a half tops. And all but 10 minutes of that will be on trail.

I re-fell in love with Colorado today. Finding my way through this, figuring out how the paths connected - and the fact that there were bike paths to be found - was enchanting. And these are optimal bike paths - wide smooth concrete that threads its way along gulches (mostly dry this time of year), through neighborhood open spaces, and under the shade of the occasional willow tree. And they all hook up! Ahhh... a biker's dream.

Tomorrow takes me out into the wilderness for my first-ever solo backpacking trip. I have a long list of business I should be taking care of, but I see those mountains to the west and - just like that - they trump business for now. I'm only able to go for one night, but I'm thrilled to be trying this out. I have a couple of goals. My Albuquerque uncle boasted of a 29-pound pack while all the women in his hiking group had 40-pound packs. The gauntlet has been thrown. I would like to be able to send him an email evening the score. My other goal is to write. I'm back from a 2 week trip to Mexico that was HUGE. I haven't even begun to process it all. We set a breakneck pace of traveling and touring that took us:

  • through 15 Mexican and American states
  • across 5063 miles
  • to sea level at a Pacific coast beach
  • to 9000 feet at our highest mountain pass
  • to hell and back with each other; we laughed until our faces hurt and alternately, snapped at each other so that we left toothmarks
  • to Lake Pátzcuaro, one of the world's highest lakes
  • past countless mudbrown, unappetizing rivers
  • to pyramids built by ancients
  • to resort hotels built by moderns
As you can see, I'm going to need a pretty thick journal. Maybe Albuquerque uncle will win the challenge after all. This time.

7 comments:

Anne said...

Oh, this report I've gotta read. Did you really cover that much distance in two weeks?!

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow, the backpacking trip sounds amazing. I bet it will be such a peaceful experience.

Enjoy!! I can't wait to read about the trip.

KK said...

Nice to have you back, both virtually and physically.

Sounds like you're figuring this CO thing out-good for you for making a bike commute one of your first priorities. I need to do that!

I hope to read more about your adventures in Mexico.

RunBubbaRun said...

You've been a busy travelor...

Your making me tired looking at all those miles covered.

Unknown said...

Looking forward to reading about it.

qcmier said...

Just sayin' "HI!" Glad to hear things are going well....

The Fool said...
This comment has been removed by the author.