Tuesday, August 07, 2007

RMC Sprint Triathlon Race Report

The Swim
I stood in the water with 72 other women, shivering, chatting nervously, reassuring each other. I had tried out my new bike tire and goggles, I had visualized my transitions, I had warmed up with a swim. All that remained now was to do this race. I stood in the middle of a pack of kindred spirits who were just about to clobber each other and - at the blow of an airhorn - we were off. It went quickly. Crawl, thrash, dodge, thump, and yes... clobber.

The swim: 500 meters. 8:26.

I exited that water in Race Mode. I heard the spectators, waved at my beloved cheering section, but was - in a way - oblivious to them. Wrapped up in that internal drum that is Race Mode. It's singular and solitary and oh-so-compelling. My T1 went beautifully. I found Serra right away, frantically - and with not a little vertigo - put on my socks and bike shoes. On went my race helmet and then my race belt. On to Serra I went.

T1: 1:09

The Bike

The bike course wound out of the Green Lake Conference Center grounds and into the country. I had ridden pieces of the route last year during Ironman training. (Where didn't I ride last year for IM training?) I remembered it being exceptionally hilly. It was. I am dubbing it "The 30 Hills in 15 Miles Route." That's a compliment.

I did the usual jockeying for position with two tall men on blue bikes. They'd pass me on the uphills and I'd pass them back on the downhills and flats. My mantra of the day was, "This is a sprint. Sprint." I pushed the whole way, EXCEPT the two times I dropped my chain. I coached myself: Slow down. Be gentle with the derailleur so you can get the chain back on by just spinning NOT dismounting.

My quads hurt like hell, begged me for an ice bath, begged me for a nap, or at least to ease up. I staunchly ignored them - and even may have pushed a little harder just to show them who's boss. Ha! I refueled them with about 10 oz. of Gatorade and 2 sips of water. I was careful not to overdo the drinking, having sloshed my way through races before.

Serra felt good. He accelerated like a dream. He's very light under me. I appreciated that lightness immensely as one hill led to another hill to another to another... pretty country. Tough country. As I neared the entrance back into the Conference Center grounds, I came up on the first woman I'd seen in about 12 miles. I "good jobbed" her and passed her. I wondered how many other women were ahead of me.

The volunteers and crowds picked up as I got further onto the conference grounds. I heard T2 well before I saw it. I shouted to anyone who would listen, but to my cheering section in particular, "Now that was a bike course! 30 hills in 15 miles!"

The bike: 15 miles. 47:07.

I dismounted Serra and crossed the chip mat. Then a volunteer uttered the fateful words, "The first place woman is in the transition. Go get her."

Pump, thump, pump! Endorphins! I screamed through T2.

T2: 0:33 (FYI I have never transitioned that fast in my life!)

The Run

As I crossed the chip mat to exit T2, I saw the #1 woman in front of me. She was lean and strong and mighty hungry looking. But I was too. I don't know what got into my legs but they just went. I passed her within the first 100 yards of the run. I was out of my body. I was flying. My cheering section yelled, "Pace it out, Teach!" I smiled and pretty much exuded exhilaration. And kept running like hell.

When you're running really hard, do you ever feel as though someone has thrust a spear through your temples? I felt this and thought, "Yes! This is how it's supposed to feel. I'm running fast enough." I kept running at spear-through-the-temples-pace, breathing hard, feeling... good. Happy to be racing. Feeling... nervous. Threatened by the thought of the woman behind me. Feeling... in tune, alive, panting, wheezing and focused. I stopped for no water, for nothing. For no thing.

I had enough left to sprint the last 50 yards into the finish chute. The spectators were wild, the cheering fueled my flames. I crossed the line and heard my name. The run: 5k, 22:07

Overall: 1:19:19
#1/73 Female
#11/204 Overall

____________

The aftermath: I can now say that this season has hosted the BEST race of my career and the WORST. I can reiterate that my cheering section rocks. I cannot post any pictures of my huge trophy (Fe-lady) because I won, instead, a medal and a bottle of wine. I could post some pictures of me after drinking said bottle of wine, but... I won't.

Let's just leave it at, "Cheers, everyone."

17 comments:

qcmier said...

Awesome job, Speedy!!!

jwm said...

Woot! Nice work.

"do you ever feel as though someone has thrust a spear through your temples?"

Uh no. I must be doing it wrong, I stop when the white spots get in the way of me seeing the runners passing me.

-jwm

jbmmommy said...

What a great race! Thanks for sharing the report. I wish I could run that fast even without a swim and bike first. Nice job.

RunBubbaRun said...

Great job out there TT.

Smiling all the way... A drunken pic would have been pretty funny to see as well with your medal around your neck...

Congrats...

RunBubbaRun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve Stenzel said...

NICE JOB!!! Way to kick some butt in the run!!

greyhound said...

Holy Rocket Pants!!

You have given me my mantra for when things get uncomfortable at Ironman Wisconsin. "This is how I'm supposed to feel." And keep going. Thanks for that.

bbieberitz said...

Wow, great job!! I can only dream of being that fast.

Now the spear thing, I have had that in the side, like jesus. I bit of stretching while running but I think as fast as you were going that would not work for you.

martykc said...

Nicely Done TT.

Give my compliments to your photographer.

That hell fire look on the bike says it all.

the fool

ShesAlwaysWrite said...

OMG That ROCKS! Congratulations on a great race!

(and btw, you've been tagged)

Anne said...

I just love this report and the way the pictures support it. I mean, you can TELL you were flying. Thanks for the inspiration.

Unknown said...

Awesome job! You know what I love best? The expression on your face in every photo - you look happy, alive, and in control. :)

Trisaratops said...

Yahoooo!

TriTeach is my speedy hero! Nicely done--way to hammer it down!

Michelle said...

Holy cats! Way to go! You look great. Sounds like you felt even better. 1st overall, woo hoo!!

Hollyfish said...

WAY TO GO TT!!! No doubt in part the result of unloading all those layers and layers of STUFF that was keeping you from living the life you were meant to live. Totally impressed!!! Keep up the good work!

Fe-lady said...

Wow...great report! Awesome photos and super job! I remember those out-of-body running, head-pounding, heart-throbbing races...they are few and far between now, but I still remember them and get glimpses every once in awhile of that "feeling"-
(Where's the pix of the empty bottle of wine? ) :-)

Pharmie said...

You are one speedy chica! That running pic of you is great. You are literally flying. Great job on an awesome race!