Saturday, August 18, 2007

Rainy Places

You wake up from a nap
on a rainy day
and with eyes still squeezed shut
you play the game:
Where are you?

So many places you could be
You could be Home-Home
Just on the verge of dragging
every towel of Mom's
out to the calf hutches
where you and Jenny
will set up house
Where for an hour or two
you will be the adults

You could be in one of the adult spots
It could be in the Old Place
where rainy days meant
days of Scrabble
and warm mugs of tea
Curling up
and M&Ms

Unable to resist
your eyes shoot open
They encounter the New Place
rain off the patio
soaked evergreens
puddles on the sidewalk
little girls floating
shoeboxes attached to string
A friend in his easy chair
a pensive finger to his lips
So many places you could be.

Where are you on this rainy day?

4 comments:

Dances with Corgis said...

love it. I always wake up from a lazy nap and wonder where I am. very nice imagery :)

RunBubbaRun said...

That's the TT I've come to know. Bustin a poem know and then.

I think I was oustide training on this rainy day.. Maybe I should have left my eyes closed.

Steve Stenzel said...

I'm with bubba - I was outside getting soaked!!....

Rachel said...

Aaah. The joys of childhood. I miss it.