Thursday, June 28, 2007

Hatched

It is 56 in the valley
with a fog thick, milky
and so smooth you
could cut it with a butter knife

Every blade of grass
wears a mantel of moisture
to wet a bird's beak

Piper and I climb
toward the sun
just making its debut
stretching its rays
reaching for the fog
ready to burn it off
to lift the valley into light

With warmth on my face
and wet on my feet
I am thinking.

I realize with a start
that for once
it's not
the agonizing haze of
analysis
doubt
of warped concentration on
my Situation.

I am ready
to see the world
to think of my students
to pull two girls

one a misfit
one a depressive
- both brilliant

out of themselves and
into a book club
into the warmth
and companionship
that kindred spirits can supply.
I am ready to save them
- or at least give it a try.

Huh.
Irony strikes.
They have saved me
Their obvious need
has compelled me...
has burned off my fog.

I have some reciprocating to do.

8 comments:

DV said...

Hey TT -

the fog burns off
slow then fast
and clarity comes
when you are ready...
stay patient and flexible -
it will come.

stay strong...

greyhound said...

I love your posts like this.

RunBubbaRun said...

TT,

hopefully some of the fog has lifted from you as well..

Keep the bust-a-rhymes coming..

Michelle said...

I about cry reading this. To see beyond ourselves is so hard. But to gain benefit from that beyond ourselves can be even harder.

Unknown said...

beautiful post.

isn't amazing that when we think we are helping others often, we usually are the ones who are helped?

Fe-lady said...

Children have helped me learn so much about myself too-my own and others. What would we do without them?
Again-thanks.

Steve Stenzel said...

It was GREAT meeting you!! Can't wait to see what you have to say about WIBA!

Fe-lady said...

Hope you are doing OK- I have been thinking about you...