Friday, June 08, 2007

AM RUNNER

I was in
68 degree heat
68 percent humidity
at 6:00 in the morning
I was at
141 bpm
for 31:58.
I was.

I saw
the exodus
of the town's gray hairs
Vegas-bound
on a Lamer's bus
From cashed-out parking lot
to coin-craving slots
all
in air-conditioned comfort.

I ran to the top of the world
on a gravel path fanned by grasses
Funneling me into nature's beauty
a lover in the morning
Alive and alert

I descended
and saw
Panchito Sanchez
on his porch
gave him a wave
he nodded back
Biding his time
until the work bell clang

I was in Saturday's race
finding my core
finding my strength
resolving
to go fast
to be true
every second
to wheeze
to hurt
to break through
to emerge
tougher
elated
smiling

I went for a run this morning
I was in the moment
And beyond
I never left city limits
Yet
I went everywhere this morning.

6 comments:

Trisaratops said...

What a beautiful post!

RunBubbaRun said...

I have been wondering were you have been, taught maybe you were slacking, but on the contrary, you have been running fast without me.

You can still bust a ryhme, TT.

Unknown said...

Nice poem.

Glad to see you posting again.

Hope things settle down with the end of the school year:)

jwm said...

Pot: Kettle, I was going to say something about you not posting for a while.

I'm behind by a good 2 posts or more myself.

Nice post. Made me remember that I ran in vegas.. It was quite memorable.

-jwm

The Fool said...

YOU! TT? Or is it L here? Maybe I'll leave it TT in case you start inviting more in.

I love the part about the gray hairs, b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l analogy my dear L.

I will publish quiet men in my blog, and I will do like you and turn into invite only.

I like the idea. A good clean way to keep everything, as opposed to g-mail.

Love you dearly,
M

Fe-lady said...

Love your words...thanks!