Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Strength: My Mom

The air was thick
The barn aisles slick
My 13 year-old body coated with sweat.

The cow-stink of manure
weighed heavy in my nostrils
humid air with assault power.

The manure-producers
sagged under their heavy garb
of surcingle and milker.

I watched the milk first gush
out of their bodies,
then trickle as their bags drained dry.
Then I'd switch the milker to the next bossie
and she'd have her gush-to-trickle moment to shine.

Alone in a barn of 73 females - milking.
Peter played go between,
catching up on the dipping if I needed him,
feeding the cows, and checking on Sarah.

Sarah was manning the shooter.
Wagons pulled in,
Sarah switched on the hydraulics
to shoot the fresh-chopped sileage up
up into the 70 foot silos.

Empty wagon out
Full wagon in
Repeat.

But wet and heavy was the sileage
blocked arteries often needed unclogging
and Sarah would have to ascend
to beat at them with desperate fists
to comb at it with a fork
to poke it, prod it, move it along.

Then the clouds unleashed.
The torrents began
The black sky gave birth to sheets
to pound down and soak her
and block out her view
Her 10 foot leap to the ground

I, in the barn, felt relief at last
the humidity condensing to cleansing rain.

To my ears came sounds of wild laughter
between the thunderous peals.
They're laughing at me again
was all I could think.
When Peter burst into the barn.

Sarah has a fork through her foot!
Sarah jumped onto a fork and it's through her foot!
We need to get Mom! We need to get Mom!

Out to be vigilant I went
To stand by my sister
who dragged herself
out of the way of the rocking wagon.
With a fork hoe stuck through her foot.

Red-scarved, sunburned, halo-auraed Mom came
and saw Sarah
She gritted her teeth
They were field work dusty brown.

Go into the barn.
She didn't waste words
We didn't waste time

She grasped that fork and pulled it right out.
She grasped that fork and pulled it right out.

Sarah has the scar.
I have the wonder.

10 comments:

RunBubbaRun said...

Ouch, thats is gotta hurt.

Things we remember as kids gives us strength as adults. What a memory

jwm said...

Ow!

Moms are a seriously, curiously strong breed. I don't want to fathom where I would be without them (my mom, and my wife/kids' mom). I haven't even mentioned my grandmother who still lives on the farm (with grandpa).

Steve Stenzel said...

That takes me back...

We didn't have cows or sileage, but we had pigs and haybales. And the only think I put a fork through as a teen was field mice under the bales.

Great story!

Fe-lady said...

Great poem I could smell the barn and hear the approaching thnderstorm-captured the moment beautifully and the strength of your mom to a "t".

The Fool said...

You have a blessing: a gift of a beautiful past is something no one can ever take away...

Imagine if that 'gift' was one you wanted to give back, because when you thought of it, it hurt.

They both stay with you, either good or bad.

I enjoyed your look back. (Sorry your'e in a funky blues......)

I'll be rooting for your 1:34, thats about my PB too....

Pharmie said...

I have a mom just like that. Plus, she's a nurse, so she scrubs out your wounds with soap instead of kissing them :)

jbmmommy said...

Great poem and story. That must have hurt! Good thing for moms.

Trisaratops said...

Beautiful.

Michelle said...

The older I get, the more respect and understanding I have for the women in my life. I hear that in what you write.

Rachel said...

Wow. My husband grew up on a dairy farm in Wisconsin and, having listened to stories and helped out, I've come to realize that farming is one of the most dangerous (and the most grueling) professions that exists.