Sunday, January 28, 2007

Finite Quantities, Finite Possibility

I'm beginning to think that the other side of aging is wisdom. Yes, I have creakiness and wrinkles that I've never had in the past, but maybe those creaks and wrinkles are signposts showing me the way to something more.

I've always wanted to do Something Big with my life. Something Big once meant becoming a famous singer (middle school & high school), then it meant going to the Peace Corps (high school and college). It has meant Ironman, marrying my best friend, helping my family and friends, being the best person I can be. But I also have gotten bogged down in the past by a) spending energy and worry on prissy obsessions - stuff that I couldn't change or even if I could, it wouldn't matter in the big picture. b) trying to do too much. I've drowned in the infinite possibilities. I haven't said "no," and I end up spreading myself way too thin.

Now I see that my wrinkles and papery cheeks are telling me that my life is a finite quantity. My slowness to recover is telling me that I have only so much cognitive and physical energy left. They're waking me up and making me think about how I am going to spend those finite quantities. I want to make sure I'm spending them on Something Big. Not piece-mealing them and doing a partial job on everything.

So I'm stepping off of the hamster wheel wherein I tease out every possible outcome of situation x at least a bazillion times. I'm going to accept the things about (primarily) people that I cannot change. Shut the door.

And open the door to Something Big. I know myself now. I know my strengths and my limits. I'm good at teaching. I have a passion for it, especially for the "gray area" kids. And I have a gift for relating to them. I also have the training to teach them to read and the income to buy enticing books for them to read.

The vision? I have the belief and zeal of a religious convert about education being the key to lifting these kids out of their environments. I believe in reading as the key to improving their lives, both economically and metaphysically. I know that a better education means a better standard of living for them.

But I want even more for them. I want enlightenment for them. I don't want them to just see the stars in life, I want them to experience the richness in picking out Cassiopeia, Orion and the Big Dipper. That will be my gift to them. My Something Big.

And should I forget or lose sight, I have a built-in reminder system. Thanks, Wrinkles and Creakiness.

5 comments:

RunBubbaRun said...

"Creakiness", that is what that ound is. I guess you kinda of get used to it. Can't wait to hear what "my something big" is all about..

Yes, "life is to short, but it should be long enough"

xt4 said...

That was awesome.

qcmier said...

Wish I had a teacher like you in my youth. Or at least listen to them.

DV said...

hey teach, inspriring no doubt. i hope your kids have heard or read the same inspiring desire that you have for them...
it's funny, i'm not at the point where i feel older by looking at/examining myself; but, when i realize i'm getting older by seeing the changes of age in the people important to me...

Fe-lady said...

My Something Big today was hoisting my student with autism up to fly by placing my feet on his stomach and lifting him above me while I was on a mat, flat on my back...you know, like you do to little kids.
I don't think anyone had "let him fly" before.
The look of utter joy on his face will last me a lifetime!
So...the something bigs are usually very little things...but mean so much!
Loved this inspiring post! (and I bet I have more wrinkles than you...just make sure the majority of them are laugh lines!)