Monday, December 25, 2006

Powder


Do you ever get the feeling that some things are just yours?

No matter how long it's been since I've been on skis, I get on them and they are mine. The feeling is mine. Even though my quads were aching from yesterday's ski, today's drive consisted of getting out there again, to race down the hills we'd been on before and whose icy tracks now meant speed. And to hit the trails I had missed yesterday, to baptize the virgin powder with the twin tracks of my skis.

Thinking the same thought that came to me last year: I want to be buried in powder. Let its beauty surround me and swallow me up. It is a blissful feeling of oneness with the cold air, the slooshing of my skis, the perpetual motion of my body in unity with the snow, the sky, the whole world around me.

Somewhere in this happiness is the acceptance of my mortality. When I ski, I make peace with... everything. Somehow my joy in this simple mortal act of gliding forward on snow - that interplay of energy - makes me know that everything is all right. And always will be.

6 comments:

Anne said...

I wish more people who live in colder climes had the same appreciation for fresh snow. Your skiing sounds sublime to this beach girl.

bbieberitz said...

I could really do without snow here in Southern Wisconsin. We still are without snow, but it makes some good riding on the tri bike instred of the mountain bike. Please keep the snow up by you :)

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Sounds great -- like downhill is much more fun than x/c!!
Jenny

Papa Louie said...

It's a beautiful thing!

qcmier said...

Jeal-Ous

The Fool said...

>Somewhere in this happiness is the
>acceptance of my mortality. When I
>ski, I make peace with...
>everything. Somehow my joy in this
>simple mortal act of gliding
>forward on snow - that interplay
>of energy - makes me know that
>everything is all right. And
>always will be.

TT,
And now you know how I feel about paddling. This is beautiful, and I can't add anything to it.

Can I keep this one? :-)

M-