Thursday, December 07, 2006

Christmas Come Early


Remember when you were a kid and you could just stare at your Christmas tree for hours? I have visceral memories of my brother and me sitting in front of our tree, just gazing at it. And it was more than the anticipation of presents. Sitting there awed by the lights and the way they made the garland twinkle, steeped in the piney smell... feeling warm, loved, and loving.

I remembered that feeling last night as Chris and I sat gazing at Piper. You see, Piper had surgery yesterday. Right on the heels of me posting that nasty poem about him not being manly, he had to go take on some barbed wire. To the tune of 5 stitches. And since he had to be put "completely under" (reassuring words), the vet asked if we would like him neutered right away too.

Aw, man!?! Is there any irony here? In his venture to prove his manliness, he ends up in a situation where he is going to be permanently un-"manned." Poor Piper.

So there we were without our puppy until 6:00 last night. No licks when I got home from school, no one constantly under Chris's and my feet. We needed our dog back! At 6:00 sharp, we were at that vet's office. Piper staggered out to the car with us and slept, snoring alternating with whimpering, all the way home.

We pulled our mattress into the living room and put his bed right next to it. Then we just sat there together. Looking at him. Counting his heartbeats, soothing his whimpers, being there every time he opened his eyes. It felt like those Christmases. Watching a tree where nothing much was happening. But there was a whole lot happening. And we all felt it.

Christmas come early.

8 comments:

Trisaratops said...

Beautiful post! Dogs are such wonderful family members.

DV said...

just discovered your blog, love your writing...
I miss my cocker; had to give her to a friend when she was outnumbered 4 to 1 by kids. Then the poor thing went crazy, blind, and deaf within a year!! Sigh... Funny, the kids are making me crazy... Probably go blind next...

m said...

Thanks for visiting. Great blog! I just love the 1970's Christmas picture and your puppy Piper is adorable.

I know my husband is going to bringing a puppy home soon. We already have two dogs and he wants a hunting dog (lab or chessie) I'm not sure I'm ready for another baby quite yet.

jbmmommy said...

Gotta love those silly dogs. Hope he's all recovered soon.

Hollyfish said...

Guh! I'm always the first one to the vet like the second they say I can come get my dog. I HATE having to leave her there. Glad he's ok and has such loving parents.

And great pic... ahhhhh the 70s. Gotta love those knitted tights that always fall down so the crotch is at your knees. Talk about TORTURE!

Michelle said...

I can relate. We have a yorkshire terrier; Priscilla. I think my husband is more attached to her than I am.

I also wanted to thank you for your words of encouragement. Hopefully we can connect sometime in person, being fellow Wisconsonites; Pine Line?

RunBubbaRun said...

Yeah, with all the trouble my dogs give us I think we would miss them. Oh, concerning the snipping, they have plastic surgery for that. Maybe I'll post that one of these days.

The Fool said...

TT,

Poor Piper! He makes a goof, and loses his, um, male-hood to boot!

Well, at least he didn't loose his male-hood on the barb wire....Ooo...

Maybe that wasn't polite company.

(You saying Uncle yet?)

M-

PS: Enuf for now.......