Sunday, December 17, 2006

Click Heard Around the World


I'm sure you heard it... right around 12:30 PM CST. From my Wisconsin pool to Chicago and Cleveland, from Vermont to SoCal.

CLICK!

That's when I realized that I needed to be the backhoe. All of those playsessions with my nephew have finally realized their ulterior motive. You see, I now know how to catch... My arm is just like the arm of that backhoe. The more water I scoop up, the more I can shove out behind me. So I tested my new thinking on my 8 x 100s.

Just like a good little back hoe, I kept my arm nice and high and picked up a BIG - I'm talkin' HUGE - pile of water. And did I just let that water go? No! I used my hydraulics to thrust it out behind me, and then I powered into the next pile.

Result??? Ha! My 100s were all 1:25s today. I have not been able to maintain that speed - ever. And I was leading! Yay!

Thanks, Jake. I owe you one. And I suspect I know how I can repay you... :)

8 comments:

DV said...

Congrats! I, however, am a dozer, plowing my way through the water... although much better since seeking professional help, i must admit... :)

jbmmommy said...

That analogy works perfectly for all toddlers and moms (or Aunts, babysitters, etc). I'll have to think of that in the pool on Friday morning, but I might start making "digger noises".

m said...

I can always find ways to use my kids to an athletic advantage. I have mine ride bikes while I run and I pace much faster. (until a hill comes and they complain)

I loved your previous post! Awesome.

Rachel said...

Wow. That's a fantastic analogy. Thanks!

Michelle said...

That's great. I haven't been in the pool in a while. Feeling kind of dry.

Trisaratops said...

Nice! :) You are turning into quite a shark!

qcmier said...

Wow that's awesome. I could definitely use some speed in the water. Can I get one of those backhoes too?

The Fool said...

TT,

Oooo.... more swim lessons I like this one! A long reach followed by a large scoop! This works for paddling too.

But I think this would be Associative phase........ I am not here yet.

Yet. I got until July 1st, huh?

M-