Thursday, December 28, 2006

2006 Mantras for Hire


In 2006, I had some mantras that consistently served me well. It was the year of "Heat." I am retiring these mantras and submitting them for whomever wishes to adopt them... Let the bidding begin!

You need to make your own heat. I needed to "make my own heat," light my own fire, keep myself going through the long training rides, swims and runs of IM training. That self-determination also kept my enthusiasm and belief in this alive. I did the vast majority of training on my own and had to motivate myself to get out the door and stay out the door until my workout was completed. These were the longest workouts of my life. This year was all about LONG and SLOW. I became long and slow... And "I make my own heat" struck a chord that helped me find the steely determination to just. keep. going.

Caveats with this mantra: Beware. Once the fire is lit, warmth literally spreads throughout your body, consuming everything in its path. You may wind up in the women's (or men's) locker room after some workouts prancing around naked until your body temp allows you to accept clothing.

Your heat comes from within. This statement by a volunteer at Ironman Wisconsin reminded me that I do indeed make my own heat, within me. It lead to the crowning moments (approximately 7 hours worth) of Triteacher Internal Combustion. I completed, survived - did - that cold, rainy 112 mile bike ride of September 10th. I hung on and endured, through hands too numb to shift or open a Gu. My heat came from within. NO question of it. Wasn't anywhere else it could have come from. Thanks to that heat, I am Iron.

Catch with this motto: You may meet and exceed all of your goals, leading you to wonder... what next??

BUT then you can just borrow from me at the end of next year. CUZ you bet your ass I'm gonna have some good mantras this year. I'm already working on 'em...

10 comments:

qcmier said...

Yo, Mantra Pimp, I need a good catch phraze for the next few months. Dig?

RunBubbaRun said...

I always like the 'claasic', I think, I can, I think I can, from "thomas the toy engine'.

Can't wait to hear what your mantra will be for '07.

I so know how you felt training on your own for IM. That did really suck sometimes.

Unknown said...

I think I need to come up with a good mantra for 2007.

I've latched onto "Slow and Steady" as a way to keep myself focussed on going longer, but it seems to define me more than inspire me.

Pharmie said...

Got anything in that mantra bag of yours for speed? I could sure use a little more in 2007 :)

Anne said...

Here's a good heat-related one (should the motif continue for you in 2007):

The finest steel has to go through the hottest fire.

Rachel said...

The problem with heat is that it wouldn't jive well with me on hot runs. But I like the gist of the meaning. I always tell myself "Focus on the task at hand." It keeps me in the moment. Where else is there to be?

DV said...

heh, 100 degree 100 % humidity in mid july on a 10 mile prescribed run that i could only fit in midday... i never had to worry about making heat, there was PLENTY!!!
i hope you blog your 2007 so we can share it with you - there never can be too much motivation...

jwm said...

I'm more of a moderate weather guy.. The heat shuts me down a bit.. (see Spirit of Racine '05)

To add to your mantra list...

I like the Rich Strauss from Crucible Fitness mantra. "Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast." Works particularly well for longer distances.

"Just keep swimming." Dori from "Finding Nemo". I also used the lesser known "Just keep running."

-jwm

Run for Chocolate said...

Can't wait to read your new mantras! I needed some heat this morning, running in 35'cold rain, sucked but was still fun somehow!

The Fool said...

TT,

Hehe! You've gone to bed! Now who wins?

I love the 'heat from within'.

But then again, I am FIRE right?

>You may meet and exceed all of
>your goals, leading you to
>wonder... what next??

Or maybe: when the race is done... tomorrow still comes?

>You may wind up in the women's (or
>men's) locker room after some
>workouts prancing around naked
>until your body temp allows you to
>accept clothing........

It better be the right locker room, or I will be arrested (or the tri-women will beat me up).

M-