Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thankful - At Last

I'm back. Don't know how. Just the hazy veil lifted. I think it's chemical, not my fault (the result of too much sugar and other bad living) as I had earlier concluded.

But I'm willing to forgive my brain & its playful chemistry because that same brain allows me to:

1) Read Shakespeare and reflect on the nature of Kate the Shrew, unable to play until Petruccio calls her to it. That's the interpretation proposed by the lecturer I'm listening to. I want that to be Shakespeare's intent else Katherine's last speech is too terrible to bear after her earlier beautiful show of wit and will.

And the story resonates with me at a personal level. Am I, with my irascibility, a Kate? And is Chris my Petruccio? Refusing to engage with my anger and sulks but rather biding his time until they pass. Then we can laugh at my tirades and point out how ridiculous they are - and play as Kate and Petruccio do. (I'm glad he doesn't steal Petruccio's methods wholesale. Being out-shrewed and hoisted around would wear thin pretty quickly.)

2) Enjoy the nature of being human - as felt by me and as I observe it lived in those around me. That's why blogging has come to mean so much to me; it's another lens into how others view their world and their training. And I find us interesting. Athletes have a frame for their worldview unlike other bloggers. I have become aware of the frames we share: the pattern of diurnal training-thinking, our general "granola" nature/love of outdoors/ environmental awareness, our goodness, our drive, and our need to share this with like-minded people.

Yet even within that frame, there is infinite variety (have to steal from Darwin while I'm robbing Shakespeare) among us. That is harder to name, but I think it comes down to brain chemistry and our resultant personality, of which gregariousness is a part. Some of us are very sociable, while others of us are introverts.

Even how we write, some with unsurpassed eloquence, and others with less eloquence and more need to just put the words on the screen, is revealing. Some write deeply, giving us a "window to their soul," while others write the numbers - a training log. And there is everything in between.

I am thankful for all. And for the ability to one day appreciate the training log type and get out the door and run; and the next find my inspiration/salvation in the deeper soul blogs that get my brain out the door for a run.

I am thankful to be back to this spot where I can be grateful, where life feels good. I think I'm even ready for more hugs and stories from my fifth graders. :) Maybe I just needed a break, and this 4-day vacation came at the opportune time. I told Chris that I felt I needed to get outside of myself. But now I think I was too outside of myself: too into school and my projects there, too worried about keeping my chin up and presenting the person everyone expects me to be. (It's a paradoxical kind of self-absorption and exaggerated sense of self-importance, isn't it?)

These last 4 days, I have been able to go within myself: I've found Shakespeare (again), played piano, run a 10K (50:43 for the numbers-folks), and written. Maybe that was the remedy for my depression. Or maybe it was just the changing chemistry of my ever-playful brain.

Whatever it was, I am thankful - at last - today.

4 comments:

RunBubbaRun said...

I think your blog is both a "window to their soul," and also a training log. Thanks for sharing your last two posts. And getting me out of the door.

Triteacher said...

Thank you, Bubba. I certainly find this cathartic. I'm glad it's of use to someone else too. Hope your surgery recovery rate is keeping up with your OCD. :)

qcmier said...

Thank you, Ms. Renaissance, for posting. Yeah our soul's window to the world can get fogged up sometimes. Hard to believe it really does boil down to brain chemistry and our response to exterior stimuli. And thanks to you, for the first time in a long time I have had to reach for the dictionary several times.

The Fool said...

TT,
>These last 4 days, I have been
>able to go within myself: I've
>found Shakespeare (again........

I'm so glad you found your tipping point. It's easy to see it in this post. Self-awarness-realization of destructive or negative thought patterns is the key to getting 'better' or feeling human again. See yourself as the fool (Or Kate as the case may be). Become whole.

>Yet even within that frame, there
>is infinite variety (have to steal
>from Darwin while I'm robbing
>Shakespeare) among us.

Einstien said: "Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources".

>Even how we write, some with
>unsurpassed eloquence,

That would be you. :-) And you certainly do.


HEY! I see a picture here of TT that I haven't seen before! This is not the rock on the water picture! Nice profile, there girly.

One More Thing: This is now one of my favorite posts. What a weaver you are. B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L.

M-