Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Fat and Happy

I feel as though I'm committing sacrilege here, but I'll feel better if I get this confession off my chest...

I'm happy to be in recovery season.

There, it's out. This little discovery dawned on me (literally) last Friday when I woke up at 5:30 AM and went for a fun run with Piper. Usually, that time would have been unacceptable for a workout. (Too late to do a long workout and get to school on time, and I never work out in the morning.) And, more critically, when I was training for IM, there was no room for variance from the schedule. Every workout was carefully spliced into my day, and walls caved in if I strayed from the plan. Last Friday morning though, I woke up, felt like running, and went for a run. Bing, bang, done.

That's not to say that I'm such a perfect person that I've caught myself feeling like working out at odd times every day. In fact... I didn't feel like working out last weekend, and I didn't. (Gasp.) I ate Combos and cookies and apple bars and felt only slightly guilty. :) I like this. It feels like I'm being easy on myself, and also like I'm trusting myself.

Hmmm... trusting myself. That's a new one. Usually, I worry to death that I'll start this spiral of sweet treats and no workouts and be 200 pounds before I can turn around. (Sorry to any 200 pounders out there; I'm not indicting you. It's just that 200 pounds is not a healthy weight for me.) Now, I just know that I won't do that. I just know that generally, my body feels better making healthier choices even without my big, compulsive brain getting involved. By god, I think I'm at peace!!!

Ha. Better savor this moment, cuz knowing me, how long can it last?

3 comments:

Trisaratops said...

OMG on so many levels:

a) Combos are my favorite stoner snack. Not that I'm a stoner, but I just think as far as snacks that stoners like go, I soooo love Combos. The pretzel kind. Been known to eat them on long rides, too.

b) I had a big ol' cannoli from Little Italy tonight and for the first time in a few weeks, didn't give a rat's ass that I ate it. YEAY-YAH.

RunBubbaRun said...

The best kind of marathon taper for me right now, eat losts of junk food and run if I really feel like during taper. Will see how this turns out. But I like my daily dose of dounghnuts for now. Halloween coming up to. Kool

qcmier said...

When I read the title of this post I thought:

Fat + Happy = Buddha.

Hope you enjoy recovery.

By the way, in response to your comment see my post from August 31, 2006. You will notice the number 11:43.