Sunday, March 30, 2008

Heat Seeker

If I weren't cold, I would do it.
If it weren't another slate gray sky, I'd be on it.
My bike sits in the garage, loaded and ready.
I sit on the couch, snuggled in and sipping coffee.

If the coffee weren't so warm and tasty,
If I didn't have to do laundry and to start a job search,
If I just could read the rest of my book
when I returned,
then I'd be right on that bike.

If the concert hadn't been so good last night,
If the fiddle hadn't pulled my heart out
through the tips of my nipples,
If I hadn't waltzed with the banjo and the guitar,
In concert
swaying
synchronized souls
Then I wouldn't have to savor it
and instead
I'd get out on my bike.

- Beat -

If I could erase the memory of THAT hill
the one that kicks my ass every year
then my heart wouldn't jump
I wouldn't hear my adrenaline say
You have demons to conquer, TT
even today on a cold,
slate gray,
post-concert day.




But -
I do remember
My heart does jump
I do have demons
I do want to engage them...

Cold?
Can't touch this fire -
See you on that hill.

*Edit: I fought the hill and... who won? Well, let's just call it a draw. :-)
Biked 1:48.07, 30.6 miles, Avg. 17 MPH

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pulling yourself away from the warm, snuggly coffee and couch...that's no easy thing to do! Great job!!

Those demons need to be scared ;)

Trisaratops said...

Great job on the ride!

You seriously need to publish these.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Great job getting off the couch. I went for a site-seeing bike ride around DC today. We took Flat Molly to see the Cherry Blossoms.

Pharmie said...

You are a stronger girl than me. The couch calling is a really hard one for me to overcome!