Thursday, March 20, 2008

In Reality, Frozen

I sit the day after skiing with a bag of frozen corn on my knee. I am ticked at myself for falling, ticked at myself for having to challenge myself on my first day of skiing in the mountains. More than anything though, I am utterly disappointed that my actions are resulting in me sitting at home cozied up with frozen corn and One Hundred Years of Solitude. I should be in Boulder hiking with my cousin and then finding out all about the Boulder Cruiser rides he's been raving about in his emails to me. He has intrigued me with teasers such as:

  • How do you feel about drinking and riding?
  • Silly attired is encouraged.
  • Bring an overnight bag just in case you feel like letting loose a little.

But here I sit
feeling like sh-t
with frozen corn
on a swollen knee
writing crappy poet-ry,
Poor ME.

And then I realize that it will happen. That I will return to Colorado and visit my cousin in Boulder. I realize that I trust my judgment on my knee, that I made the right call today. That sane people just don't push an injury the day after it occurs. That my gut-reading of my body and reason need to prevail over my passion, whim, and curiosity sometimes.

And then I believe. I know to my toes that my knee will heal, that I'll make the right decisions to encourage its healing and that someday... I will ride again. Someday I will be out in this Colorado sun and wind, and it will carry me. I'll wear a costume to make Steve in a Speedo proud, to represent for us Midwesterners, to cruise the bike-friendly streets of Boulder. My spirit will fly...

The chill in my knee pulls my head out of the clouds, the ache in my butt from sitting all day says, "Hey girlie, you're here!" I pop another ibuprofen and...

*SIGH*

Cuz for today, it's corn for me folks.

9 comments:

jwm said...

Hang in there.

How would you know you're living on the edge if you didn't slip once in a while? Just do what you gotta do, then get back out there.

-jwm

Anne said...

You had me at the 30-mile missed turn in the last post.

Keep the corn cold and a hottie tottie nearby so your spirits, and not just your knee, feel like you've been out on the slopes all week.

Unknown said...

Sorry about your knee. You're right to let it heal rather than push it.

Anonymous said...

Great attitude, girlie!! You'll be able to get back out there, and sooner than later now because you are letting it heal :)

Crappy poetry?? I think not. Best poem I've read in years!!

Steve Stenzel said...

That WOULD make me proud!!!

triguyjt said...

you'll be back out there soon... today corn on the injury, tomorrow, frozen broccoli.

go through all the veggies in the freezer and then get back out running and training...

RunBubbaRun said...

Frozen corn, of all the fancy stuff you can buy to use as a ICE pack, frozen corn does seam to work the best..

Hope you heal quickly and at least enjoy the rest of scenery out there, eventhough it might be from a chair outside the door.

Tomas said...

Knees are such a weird design... not great engineering! :)
Anyways... Marques is a great author and Hundred years of solitude is such a masterpiece that spending a day reading it is a day well spent!

The Lazy Triathlete said...

That is too deep for me. Both the book and the corn. I am a pea guy personally.