Thursday, January 10, 2008

A-s-p-h-a-l-t Spells Relief

I am running down the middle of a country road in a blizzard. I can barely see because I've pulled my cap down to shield my eyes from the big wet flakes that seem hell-bent on piercing my cornea. I snap punches in the air - one is my daunting right, two is my left hook, three is a smashing undercut, four with my left... to ten. It feels like release. I yell to the world, to the snow, to no one in particular, "Yes! Fucking yes!" The dog jumps and scurries, tail-tucked, off to the side of the road, eying me warily.

I had a BAD day today. It culminated in detention duty tonight after school. A jail-like setting where I was the jailer. Children who I see daily in my classes and who "Ms. Triteacher" me in ever-so-polite tones turned into snarling beasts who only saw me as one of those "damn teachers who make up whatever rules they want." I guess it is pretty offensive to assign someone a seat apart from his juvenile delinquent buddies. I was steeped in that negative energy for one and one-half HOURS.

And it was bad even before I had to play hard-ass. One of my favorite teachers called me in the middle of class to tell me that one of my not-so-favorite teachers had just ragged her out about what an incompetent teacher she was.

What's up with all this negative energy? Is it the time of year when everyone goes a little, um, bitchy?

I came home determined to let off steam in one of four ways:
1) A bottle of Merlot swilled and savored at my leisure.
2) M&Ms or any other form of chocolate consumed in large quantities.
3) Rum cake - Why not get the sweet and the alcohol combined?
4) Go for a run.

Mercifully, the dog bounded to me the second I walked in the door. He hadn't been exercised yet today. My decision made, I double-timed into my running clothes.

And there I found myself on that country road. Running like Rocky Balboa. I could even hear the music swelling, surging, punctuating my footfalls. I tracked the molecules of stress as they leaked out of my temples, down my spine, through my aching piriformis, to the soles of my shoes and out into the asphalt. May those molecules rest in peace.

It was a beautiful thing. I even thought of a Suzy-Sunshine kind of idea. I'm going to make some lemon-yellow poppyseed muffins (I personally don't think that a little opium is overkill at this point) and ship them off to all the people with whom I had issues today with a single note of "The sun will shine again. Someday."

Or I could just invite them all to go running with me.

And warn them to look out for my fists.

10 comments:

Team Brazo said...

There is no better way to rid myself of stress then running. After a long run I try to think negatively -- and find it is hard to do.

Gotta love that run.

Have a nice weekend...

jwm said...

"Women weaken legs."

Now there's a mantra I haven't used in a while.
--
I don't put kids in detention for a living, but I'm still quite certain I know how you feel. Nice job punching it out.

jbmmommy said...

You obviously picked the best route to deal with that sort of day. Hope today is better, even if it isn't, it's Friday.

Anonymous said...

Very cool! Only a good run can make you feel tough like "Rocky Balboa" and mellow like "Suzy-Sunshine" both at the same time!

Trisaratops said...

AMEN for the after-school-I-NEED-TO-VENT-run. Saved me many a day.

Of course, the merlot doesn't hurt, either.

:)

GetBackJoJo said...

Thank God for running. How do non-running teachers survive? Yesterday I had a crazy parent run-in, and I had to pull a Rocky Balboa to stomp it out too...

triguyjt said...

god bless the dog for insisting on a run..think the dog knew you had a bad dayd??
I think it did..

props to the canine

Anne said...

I was gonna say something similar about that omniscient dog that knows its owner so well. I think this is one of the few things you afternoon/evening runners have over us early risers: shedding the day's negative energy before you hit the sack.

triguyjt said...

hey again..
your suggestion on the aging conference was a hoot.. very good..
i like that kinda humor.
thanks

Fe-lady said...

You have such a great way of painting with words...what a gift. Thanks for sharing with us.