Monday, January 14, 2008

Fighting the Flatness

Ever have those days where you just feel ... flat?

I feel flat today. I got up at 4AM to get to a 4000 yard swim. I did the workout. But I was sluggish, slow, and spaghetti-like by a third into it. I was even farther behind Coach and Dolores than usual.

Now I'm at school and I feel... flat. Grrr. I wanna feel excited, motivated, inspired, and able to inspire. My first class went well. I can fake it with middle schoolers. But then I had my high schoolers and I swear they can smell weakness a mile away. One girl in particular seems to read me like a book. She's bright. Too bright. Double grrr.

Maybe I'm overdoing the training. I haven't had a day off in... let me check quick... Oh! 10 days. That's it! I need a day off. I need to recover.

Click! I lifted weights on Friday, and I was wondering why my arms and shoulders still hurt this morning. I need time to recover. Eureka! What a load off. Tomorrow I WILL NOT work out.

Aside to self: You hear me? No work out tomorrow. And no obsessing about it either!

Aside to you: Hold me to it.

Maybe I'll eat a bunch of chocolate tonight too. And play my guitar. And relax. Maybe I'll just chill out instead of having to be Superwoman every stinkin' day.

Yeah. Chocolate, a mellow dog walk, guitar, a touch of merlot...

RECOVERY... here I come!

Jan. 15 Update: Woah. 9.5 hours of sleep later, I am a new woman. I guess I should have realized that being stranded on Saturday overnight in Madison with six 19 year-old girls (my niece and her friends) would take it out of me. And then the 4 AM wake-up call on Monday... I needed 9.5 hours of sleep. Look out today school kids, TT is refreshed!

Oh, and on the workout front: Now that I've had some good sleep, there is fresh snow on the ground. And my skis are freshly waxed...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

4000 yard swim, and working out for ten days straight....HOLY MOLY!! Yeah, I'd say you deserve a day off ;)

"Chocolate, a mellow dog walk, guitar, and a touch of merlot"...now that's a recovery day I'd enjoy a lot!

But, I haven't earned it yet so thanks for the motivation. I was feeling a bit flat today, too.

jwm said...

Uh ya.. I had some REALLY flat runs, slogs. Up until that new pr. I'm not working as hard as you at it. Recovery is built in.

-jwm

RunBubbaRun said...

I think I need a double of shot of something just to think about doing 4000 yrds right now.

Hmm, a 4:00AM WAKE UPCALL, I thought I got up early..

Relax TT and watch all those crazy reruns on TV.. Then again, you could watch American Idol.

GetBackJoJo said...

And here I thought I was a goddess for doing 1800 yards before school. 4000--and then teach? That alone would put me right under!
Glad you're feeling better. Nothing worse than feeling flat.

triguyjt said...

you rock....4am...4,000 yards...part animal--part teacher-
amazing...

do get some rest

Fe-lady said...

Sleep is good...chocolate and dog walks are good too. Guitar playing, Wine and a day off...even better!
I don't think the workouts wiped you out...it was all those hours with those teenagers. That will tire even the best endurance athlete! :-)

Unknown said...

As always, you are AMAZING. All those workouts and ALSO time with the 19 yr olds?!?!?!

I have 4 teenage girls at my house today and that is about enough to make me want to lock myself in my bedroom and never come out again. LOL

The Fool said...
This comment has been removed by the author.