Friday, February 01, 2008

Inner Peace Lives at the Pool

I rotate my shoulder
lay on my side
slip my hand into the water
smoother than a glove
snugger than mittens
sweeter than warmth

I am swimming fast
catching Coach's bubbles
right in the goggles
But
Amidst all this motion
I am calm
slow
relaxed
suspended

- Almost timeless -

With swimming you have to be
I cannot be reaching
clawing
grasping
Thrashfests are counterproductive
Swimming speed is counterintuitive

It is in letting go that you move faster.

It is this idea
this centeredness
that I want to remember
to take with me
to apply in all areas of my life.

No matter the furies and flurries
that may surround you,
Inner Peace lives.

10 comments:

Chris said...

Very Nice

RunBubbaRun said...

You make swimming so poetic, you give me hope on that, because for now, mine is a thrashfest.

Inner Peace, hope the road is getting better for you. The road less travelled, does usually gives the greatest reward.

Anonymous said...

I want my swims to be like that. My thrashfests are slowly moving towards inner peace, but I have a loooong way to go.

jwm said...

What 140miles said.

-jwm

Anne said...

Your poetry almost makes me want to find a pool and learn to swim again. Almost.

triguyjt said...

you made a symphony in h20.

nice post...props!!

Fe-lady said...

Perfect!
Hope I can get to that place in tomorrow's swim....

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

That was awsome! Wish my swim felt like that, though. UGH!

Steve Stenzel said...

I need to swim like that....

Michelle said...

your description of swimming is beautiful. if only in my world it always felt so beautiful!