Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Does Counting Work for You?

I have had reason in the last 43 minutes to evaluate the efficacy of the "counting to 10" strategy.

It doesn't work.

I hear your *gasps,* but I feel confident in making this assertion and publishing these results. I think that you will agree that my research has been rigorous. I have performed in-depth studies in a variety of trying situations - with teenagers. Particularly teenage girls who tell their teachers that they "have sticks up their butts" and query as to why they need to do the assignment because they "know all this stuff already." Need I say more?

My conclusions? We adults should not feel locked into the professional educator stances of "count to 10" or "love them through it." Oh no. We need to avail ourselves of several strategies.

My strategy of the day? Bug out your eyes in obvious incredulity, sigh, shake your head sadly, and just walk away. It feels oh-so-satisfying.

Recommendations: Try it. You'll like it. Much better than counting to 10.

9 comments:

Fe-lady said...

That's what I have learned to do.
Or silently "call" them on their behavior.
If they throw trash down, I will pick it up in front of them and throw it away...all the while looking at them. Or I have one of my Special Ed. kids help and comment on how "he/she knows where trash belongs".
It's liberating when you choose to stay out of the power struggles thrown one's way! Great job-keep it up!

Michelle said...

I'm liking it already. And I do this every day but with a 10 and 8 year old! I call it the dead stare approach.

On another note, I put a tag on you in my blog. Please don't hurl any mental daggers at me! Should you choose to participate 1) link to the person who tagged you on your blog, 2) share 7 random/weird facts about yourself, 3) tag 7 people and include their links on your blog.

GetBackJoJo said...

I just count to ten so I can figure out what I'm going to scream and in what order. :)
I find the very best way to get a middle school contrite is to say quietly, "I'm just so disappointed." and then walk away.

jwm said...

the latest research of 5 year olds is leaning towards blowing up, then asking if it is necessary for said explosion.

Though, at school their teacher has a magic bell that means "arms up". I think it would go for big dollars on ebay.

-jwm

RunBubbaRun said...

Hmm, I count to 3 for my kiddo. Not sure if I could make it to 10 thou..

Okay, maybe I will try to count longer.

Steve Stenzel said...

Counting to 10 has never worked for me. I go with walking away too...

Unknown said...

Hey, at least now I know that it's not just me!! I've never had luck with counting to 10 either!!

triguyjt said...

i usually...breathe slowly..and walk....away

Anne said...

Is there the possibility of introducing flared nostrils to this technique? I don't think I could do it without a nose job.