Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I Love My Job

Where have I been? Obviously not blogging. I have been busy with many things - good for the most part: biking, a new relationship, patching up my old relationship (we're becoming friends!), and school.

School has been consuming me. It always does, but I always forget how wrapped up in it I get. And I love my job. Today's highlight came when I was subbing for another teacher. I got to talk to a handful of kids who I taught my first year here. They're seniors now. It is amazing how much they've changed. One girl, in particular, gave me hell in 6th grade. She was a snotty (though smart) little hair-tosser. We had found our peace by the end of the year, but today... it was really cool. We talked about what she's interested in career/college/lifewise. It was a conversation I would have had with my niece - very comfortable. And wow. Has she matured. I love seeing these kids grow up. My job is fulfilling.

And finally - after bouncing around grade levels and job titles for 8 years - I'm finding where I fit. I am a middle school Reading Teacher. While it was enjoyable talking to those high schoolers today and I enjoy the one section of high school that I teach, I belong with middle schoolers. In a Reading classroom. Talking about books and characters - which really means telling our stories to each other, helping these very energetic, very talkative, very curious adolescents see themselves and others. It's real stuff. And I love it.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Middle schoolers...tough crowd. I can see why it's rewarding.

jbmmommy said...

Good to hear from you and I'm glad to hear that things are going well. It's good to have people that like middle schoolers, I've heard many teachers that don't. All of you teachers are such a gift to our children.

RunBubbaRun said...

Sounds like your in your "happy place" with life and in your teaching..

Woop, woop..

Unknown said...

Sounds like things are turning around. :)

qcmier said...

=)

Fe-lady said...

Yeah for middle school teachers! I could never do it...altho I am at a middle school, I am with the special ed population who are KINDA like middle schoolers but not...
I don't have enough energy to keep up with them!
(And give us more about the new relationship! Cool!)