Friday, January 30, 2009

Dumb Dog

Dumb dog, why are you following me?

Mostly just his big puppy eyes follow me around - to see if I'm catching him at his various misdeeds. But he's been kicked around and neglected like orphan Annie's dog. And people think he's dumb. But, those same sneaky eyes have finally started to meet mine when we're working in small group.

His mom is crazy, his dad long-absent. School is a grind for him, a place where he fails, where he doesn't get the unwritten rules - much less the written ones. He is craving safety, craving acceptance, craving a place where he can succeed. He would never say that, but we teachers, we can read it. And I can give him that. I am working hard, thinking hard, advocating and fighting hard to keep minds open about him, to keep people believing in him. So that WE can give him that. A guaranteed education that he can access.

And then, on my other battle front, I am teaching him that a teacher is not always Teacher. We are not flat placards of lesson plans and discipline. We understand, we listen, we see flashes of insight and pull, pull, pull, dredge the depths of brains. Begging for more, helping to shape thoughts, to find words, to think, to self-advocate, to understand.

And he is getting there. He is so close. He is opening up, he is attempting. He is becoming a student. He might even be beginning to believe that he can, he could, he just might... succeed.

3 comments:

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice! Makes us teachers proud!

Fe-lady said...

If only he could follow you around the rest of his school career...
it's kids like these I flocked to. And they to me. Made the effort to find out how they were doing. Give a smile to.
Gave them an extra pat or "good job"-just because.
In my mind they are happy and successful.
Sadly,I know better, sometimes, tho.

You reach a few...and that's a lot.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

The way you put that is true. That is one of the reasons I almost became a teacher. Great job in all you do