Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Battle Hymn

I fly but with my wings tucked
my head cradled between them
sucking in my gut (as if)
tightening abs and ass
to minimize the drag

Even my lips are compressed
until I see
and feel
39 MPH

EXHILARATION
tinged with not a little fear
pries open my lips
unclenches my throat
and allows
Gillian Welch's Indian War Whoop
to escape from my mouth

The cry ricochets off the asphalt
is carried on the winds
all the way down the hill
into the surrounding ditches and woods
threading its way into the very fabric of the day
proclaiming that

FAST
feels good.

12 comments:

Trisaratops said...

You summed that up perfectly, as usual!

Fe-lady said...

woah nelly...that's fast.
I brake at 32- teeth clenched and praying I don't flat.
Sounds like you had a great ride!

xt4 said...

Fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Now, you have great taste in choosing that War Whoop, girlie!

As always, your words captured the feelings to a tee. I'm glad you had a fast, exhilarating, feel good ride down that hill :)

KK said...

AWESOME!

Jason said...

Great!!

jwm said...

Check your tires before you leave.. Then keep your head down, eyes front, and scream.

For a second there I was mentally back at Elkhart lake ripping down that big hill doing 45... at the same time thinking "what am I doing!" and "woohoo!!!"

-jwm

Unknown said...

Holy smokes, that's fast!

Anne said...

I admit this left a lump in my throat. Fast does feel good -- provided nothing stands between you, the bike and the finish.

triguyjt said...

great, great flair for putting sentences together...

nice....
you, triteacher are a wordsmith...

hoo hoo............

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice job! That's HAS to feel good!

RunBubbaRun said...

You daredevil you.. might have to start calling you the flying TT..